Dr Orestis OmranPartner
Orestis Omran is a Partner in the Brussels Office of DLA Piper and the Head of the firm’s Greece Country Group. He leads the firm’s practice in both Greece and Cyprus. He focuses on international corporate and finance transactional as well as on EU regulatory matters in the energy, banking and infrastructure sectors. Qualified in England and Wales, New York, Greece and Brussels (E-list), Orestis is the very definition of an international attorney. He has closed complex transactions in many jurisdictions and has represented clients in formal and informal state aid and other investigations before the European Commission, national regulatory authorities and subsequent proceedings before the EU Courts. He is highly praised by Chambers (as an expert based abroad for Greece), Legal 500 (as an expert in the Global and EU Competition category and a next generation partner in the energy sector) and by IFLR 1000 (as a rising star partner in the Banking and Finance and Financial Regulatory categories)
In addition, Orestis advises governments and energy companies on both contentious and non-contentious matters. He is often involved in transnational litigation and international commercial and investment arbitrations in the energy sector. He represents and advises clients on a wide range of disputes and regulatory matters involving the upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas industry.
Orestis is also considered as one of the top international lawyers in Greece where he benefits from a strong network of contacts in the Government and industry. He has led significant privatization, structured finance and project finance transactions and has also been acting for the Greek government in some of the most complex Greek and EU law matters before the European Commission and other international institutions. He has also advised the IMF and the EU institutions on the implementation of the Greek Program.
He is regularly invited to participate as a speaker in business and legal conferences in Europe and the United States and is often published in all of the above areas of law. He has served as a guest lecturer in many universities in Europe and the Americas on issues of comparative campaign finance law, sovereign debt restructuring and constitutional law.
- Advised the Hellenic Republic on the landmark ‘Greek lignite and electricity markets’ antitrust case (AT.38700).
- Advising the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator on the EUR 2.1 billion sale of 49% of its shares to the Macquarie fund.
- Advised Finacity Corporation on the first in the Greek energy market securitization transaction of electricity bill performing receivables of the Public Power Corporation.
- Advised Deutsche Bank on the securitization of PPC EUR 2,2 billion non-performing receivables portfolio.
- Advising QQuant on the servicing and securitization of 1 billion NPL portfolio of Pancreta Bank.
- Advising the Hellenic Republic, the Hellenic Post and the Hellenic Corporation of Assets and Participations on all state aid matters (cases SA.57538,S A.57982, S.A. 56616) related to the restructuring of the Hellenic Post.
- Advising the Hellenic Republic on a state aid compliant strategic reserve scheme to incentivize the replacement of existing lignite based energy infrastructure while ensuring security of supply in the Greek electricity market.
- Advising the Hellenic Asset Development Fund in the structuring of its Project Preparation Facility.
- Advised an international oil and gas producer in ad hoc international arbitration proceedings against the Hellenic Republic regarding oil and gas exploration and development rights in Northern Aegean, Greece.
- Advising major international investors on all aspects of the acquisition of RES projects in Greece.
- Advising all Greek systemic banks in structured finance, project finance and hedging finance transactions.
- Ph.D. Comparative Constitutional Law, VDU and MRU (joint degree) 2022
- University of California, Visiting Scholar, Berkeley (Boalt Hall) 2015
- University of Chicago Law School, LL.M. (Fulbright Scholar) 2011
- Chambers notes that: “Greek-qualified Orestis Omran is based in Brussels and receives numerous plaudits for his expertise in corporate and commercial law. He has experience advising on transactions, joint ventures and distribution agreements. One client describes him as 'an expert in Greek law', adding that 'he provides us with outstanding representation and clear advice on our business interests in Greece'”.
- Legal 500 notes that Orestis Omran is ‘distinguished for his intelligence, commitment, business intuition and responsiveness‘ – boasts extensive EU-oriented experience (in the energy sector) and that competition and state aid expert Orestis Omran is noted for his extensive knowledge of the Greek market, where he acts for large companies and public entities”.
- A client notes that “We work mostly with partner Orestis Omran who is an absolute star. He has vast experience on EU energy regulatory matters and leads transactions between energy companies and/or governments in south-eastern Europe. He has a deep knowledge of the energy markets and understands the business probably better than any other energy lawyer in Brussels” (Legal 500 2021)
- Another client notes that “I have heard people in the industry referring to him as the Michael Jordan of law and I cannot agree more on that”. (Legal 500 2021)
- Co-author Litigation Law and Practice in Greece, Chambers 2019
- Co-author Antitrust Litigation Law and Practice in Greece, Chambers 2019
- Directors' Liability in the Twilight Zone, Country Report for Greece, INSOL 2017
- “How are EU regulation policies affecting growth prospects for the TMT industry and what is required to help stimulate more investment”, TMT Finance Conference, Munich, Germany, October 2016
- “Sovereign Debt Restructuring in Greece and Argentina: A comparative assessment”, series of guest lectures at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile and the Universidad de Buenos Aires, Santiago, Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2016
- “The new Greek Development Law”, Annual Conference of the Federation of Industries of Northern Greece, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2016
- “Drafting arbitration clauses in energy contracts: A prerequisite to successful arbitration”, Seminar organized by the Association for International Arbitration, the Vienna International Arbitration Centre and the Austrian Arbitration Association, Brussels, Belgium, May 2016
- “Public International Law Aspects of Oil and Gas Exploration and Development in South Eastern Mediterranean”, Event entitled “Energy Planning for Crete: Prospects of Development”, Athens, Greece, April 2016
- “Campaign Finance Reform in Greece: Lessons to learn from the US and the UK”, Annual Conference of the Group of the Greek Constitutionalists, Crete, Greece, April 2016
- “Cybersecurity: EU legislation and highlights of key obligations”, EUTC Summit, Brussels, Belgium, March 2016
- “Criminal Aspects of Campaign Finance Regulation”, Oxford Criminal Law Discussion Group, Oxford Law Faculty, Oxford, UK, February 2015
- Associate and then Counsel in the Brussels Office of international law firm, 2012-2017
- Attorney European Commission, Legal Service, 2011-2012
- Guest Lecturer in Law Schools in Europe and the Americas
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Brussels Bar (E-list)
My latest insights
DLA Piper helps Hellenic Republic resolve Greek electricity market dispute
21 September 2021 .5 minute read