Frank W. RyanAmericas Chair
Frank Ryan is DLA Piper's Global Co-Chair, Global Co-CEO, and Americas Chair. Since taking the helm as Chair in 2019, Frank has continued to drive growth and innovation for the firm. In 2022, DLA Piper experienced revenue gain and headcount growth as the firm expanded both its global and US footprints. Under his leadership, the firm has also made significant gains in its technology, life sciences and health care practices highlighted by the acquisition of high-profile AI and regulatory teams during the first half of 2023.
Throughout his legal career, Frank has handled numerous cases and deals in a variety of areas. where he is known as a go-to strategist for some of the world’s most sophisticated media and sports corporations.
A graduate of Syracuse University College of Law, Frank now serves on the school's Board of Advisors. He is a member of the Legal Service Corporation's Leaders Council, helping advise the country's largest funder of civil legal aid programs for low-income people and sits on the Board of Directors for Beat the Streets NYC, an organization that mentors NYC student wrestlers. He is also a member of the Wall Street Journal CEO Council and Thomson Reuters' Global Strategy Board and is frequently quoted as a business and legal expert in the media.
The long list of high-profile clients Frank has counseled includes Disney, ABC, TomTom, Pac-12, Nike, ESPN, beIN Media Group, Al Jazeera, Medtronic, ConMed and significant matters related to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law
Order of the Coif
magna cum laude
- B.S., Syracuse University
Four Year Varsity Letter Winner
The Legal 500 United States
- 2021 - Recommended, Trademarks: Litigation
- The Legal 500 comments, "Other key figures include New York-based global co-chair Frank Ryan, an expert in high-stakes litigation..."
- 2021 - Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)
- The Legal 500 comments, "...Frank Ryan in New York co-chairs the IP and tech practice and focuses on litigation, and other IP matters in the sports, media and entertainment sectors."
- 2019-2020 - Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)
- 2018-2020 - Recommended, Trademarks: Litigation
- 2017-18 - Recommended, Technology: Transactions
- 2017 - Recommended, Telecoms & Broadcast: Transactional
- 2014-16 - Recommended, Sport
- Panelist, "The State of the Global Legal Industry," Thomson Reuters 17th Annual Legal Executive Briefing, May 11, 2022
- Speaker, "Reinventing Business and Talent Models," Thomson Reuters Strategy Board Meeting, May 4, 2022
- Panelist, "What’s Next: Law firm leaders and industry experts discuss law firm office trends in the wake of the pandemic," Savills Legal Tenant, February 24, 2021
- Panelist, "The 2020 Legal Executive Briefing Webinar Series: The State of the Global Legal Industry," Thomson Reuters, December 10, 2020
- "DLA Piper Chair: From Student Athlete To Sports Strategist," Law 360 Pulse, November 3, 2023
- "'We Know Who We Are': Frank Ryan Reelected DLA Piper's Americas Leader," The American Lawyer, November 1, 2023
- "The Evolving Role of Big Law Leadership," The American Lawyer, July 24, 2023
- "Big Law falls out of fashion with idealistic Gen Z," Financial Times, May 10, 2023
- "GPT-4 Is Here. Casetext's CoCounsel Already Brought It to Legal," LegalTech News, March 14, 2023
- "DLA Piper, Announcing Leadership Changes, Creates Advisory Role for Strategy and Performance," The American Lawyer, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper vice chair takes up strategic role amid US leadership shake up," Global Legal Post, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Promotes New Slate Of Leaders," Law 360 Pulse, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Names John Gilluly Transactional Practice Vice Chair," Bloomberg Law, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Makes Changes to US Leadership Team," Web Ring Net, July 18, 2022
- "Demand in Tech, Life Sciences Drives DLA Piper's 10.8% Revenue Growth," The American Lawyer, April 6, 2022
- "DLA Piper's First Chief Strategy Officer, a Big 4 Vet, Wants the Firm Doing 'More' for Clients," The American Lawyer, September 27, 2021
- "DLA Piper’s 8.8% Jump in Profits Bolstered by US Growth," The American Lawyer, March 22, 2021
- "DLA Piper Restructures Its Management Team to Support Single Chair Model," The American Lawyer, March 12, 2021
- "DLA Piper Forms New Management Team After Strong 2020," Law360, March 9, 2021
- "DLA Piper’s New Chair Wants His Giant Firm to Get Even Bigger," Bloomberg Law, February 23, 2021
- "DLA Piper's Frank Ryan Is Bringing a 'Growth Mindset' to the Busiest Lateral Market He's Ever Seen," The American Lawyer, January 28, 2021
Memberships And Affiliations
- Board of advisors for Syracuse University College of Law
- Member of the Legal Services Corporation's Leaders Council
- Member of the Wall Street Journal CEO Council
- Member of the Thomson Reuters' Global Strategy Board
My latest insights
Taking the LEAP from athletics to law: DLA Piper offers scholarship program for...
8 November 2023 .2 minute read