Dr Moritz von Hesberg MBA (UCT)Counsel
Dr Moritz von Hesberg advises German and international clients on corporate / M&A as well as corporate governance topics. He is particularly experienced in complex cross-border transactions for private equity, venture capital and strategic industrial clients. Moreover, he regularly advises clients on the formation of joint ventures as well as corporate reorganisations. As part of his corporate governance focus, Moritz also regularly advises on corporate compliance including the corporate support of international investigations.
Moritz’ clients come from a range of sectors particularly the logistics and shipping industry, life sciences (including biotechnology) as well as consumer goods.
While being qualified as a lawyer, Moritz also holds an MBA from the University of Cape Town where he also teaches as a visiting lecturer in the international MBA program with an elective on M&A. In addition, Moritz holds several advisory board mandates in German and South African companies and publishes regularly on corporate and corporate compliance topics.
- Advising Unilever on various corporate and M&A mandates, recently on the sale of the Pfanni potato production Site to Aviko Rixona in a complex strategic transaction including a long term supply agreement.
- Advising the Hoyer Group, a global leading logistics group, on the acquisition of pan-asiatic Kerry-ITS group with companies in Singapore, China, Vietnam and Thailand.
- Advising Stockholm based Stillfront Group, an international market leader in the area of online games, on its acquisition of Sandbox Interactive GmbH, a successful gaming start-up based in Berlin, for a purchase price of EUR130 million plus variable purchase price components.
- Ongoing advise of team.blue, a portfolio company of Hg Capital, with regard to various corporate and M&A topics, in particular as deal counsel on numerous European acquisitions.
- Advising Hapag-Lloyd on its USD4.6 billion merger with United Arab Shipping Company, the largest container liner company of the Middle East, and on its USD5.6 billion business combination with the container shipping activities of the largest South American carrier, Compañía Sud Americana de Vapores.*
- Advising a large German automotive company on an internal investigation relating to potential misconduct in a joint venture company.
*Denotes experience from a previous firm
- University of Cape Town, Master of Business Administration, 2019
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen, Dr. iur., 2015
- Kammergericht Berlin, Second State Examination, 2012
Bucerius Law School, First State Examination, 2010
- JUVE Rechtsmarkt 2023: Recommended as one of the “Top 40 under 40” lawyers across Germany
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2022: Recognised as "one to watch"for corporate law
- “Auswirkungen des Verbandssanktionengesetzes auf die gesellschaftsrechtliche Organisation (international tätiger) Konzerne“, Betriebs-Berater, 03.08.2020, p. 1743
- The chapter on Accounting Fraud in the German handbook on the criminal liability of corporations published in the Beck Verlag, 2019
- Dissertation on liability in (international) corporations for violations of the law in subsidiaries, 2016
- Lecturer at the Graduate School of Business of the University of Cape Town on M&A (in the Master of Business Administration program)
- Lecture on Internal Investigations at the Bucerius Law School
Memberships And Affiliations
- Wirtschaftsstrafrechtliche Vereinigung e.V.
- Hamburgische Rechtsanwaltskammer
- Bucerius Alumni e.V.