Rob has been advising on corporate finance transactions for over 14 years. He focuses on equity capital markets, frequently acting for issuers and banks on IPOs, follow-on offerings, takeovers, step-ups and general listed company transactions.
Rob also regularly advises on M&A transactions, acting for both private and public companies with a particular focus on cross-border transactions. Alongside the M&A transactions, Rob frequently advises on venture capital investments and shareholder arrangements.
Alongside the transactional matters, Rob also regularly advises on joint ventures and corporate partnerships both in the private and public sector. He is a member of our Boardroom Counsel group, frequently advising on ESG related matters and how to treat trust and reputation as a balance sheet asset.
Rob is an active member of DLA Piper’s Life Sciences sector, heading it up in the Birmingham office and a regular contributor to the Life Sciences Transactions site. Rob is also prominent in the real estate sector, commonly advising on joint venture and corporate structures through which real estate projects are established, developed and delivered.
Rob is a member of the London Stock Exchange’s Regional Advisory Group and an honorary lecturer at the University of Birmingham. Rob is chairman of DLA Piper’s UK events and campaigns workstream, ensuring our events are engaging, insightful and complementary with our go-to-market strategy. Rob also regularly volunteers and speaks at local incubators, offering pro bono advice to start-ups looking for a hand-up, particularly in the Life Sciences sector.
- Acting for Medica Group on its GBP269 million take private by IK Partners.
- Acting for Dechra Pharmaceuticals on its EUR340 million class one acquisition of AST Pharma and Le Vet and associated GBP100 million accelerated bookbuild placing.
- Acting for Watkin Jones on its GBP255 million AIM IPO.
- Acting for Knights on its GBP103.5 million AIM IPO.
- Acting Synergy Health on STERIS Corporation's USD5.2 billion takeover (tax inversion).
- Acting Clinigen on its GBP150 million public takeover of Quantum Pharma.
- Acting for Liberum Capital as Nomad and bookrunner on Time Out’s GBP195 AIM IPO.
- Acting for Numis (sponsor and joint bookrunner) and Shore Capital (joint bookrunner) on the GBP200 million IPO of Motorpoint on to the Main Market.
- Acting for Iron Mountain on its disposal of its paper shredding businesses in UK, Australia and Ireland to Shred-lt.
- Acting for ARM on its acquisition of NextG-Com.
- Acting for Lotus Bakeries on its acquisition of Urban Fresh Foods.
- Acting for Kelda (Yorkshire Water) on its disposal of two major infrastructure assets to Ancala.
- Acting for AirHop on multiple trampoline park acquisitions.
- Acting for The Gap, Inc. in establishing its joint venture with Next to ensure its products continue to be sold in the UK and Irish markets
- Acting for National Grid in establishing a joint venture partnership with a major UK housebuilder in respect of developing out its land bank.
- Acting for the Welsh Government in establishing a joint venture in respect of a major infrastructure project.
- University of Law, GDL & LPC
- University of Leicester, BA Politics
Rob is ranked as an “Up and Coming” partner in Chambers & Partners 2023
"Rob Newman is a really diligent and earnest lawyer - he has good client relationships and is a real deal maker." Chambers & Partners 2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Rob is an honorary lecturer at the University of Birmingham.
- Rob is a member of the London Stock Exchange’s Regional Advisory Group.