Borja de ObesoPartner
Borja de Obeso is Head of the Litigation, Arbitration and Regulatory Law Department in the Madrid office.
Law graduate from the University of Granada, Borja de Obeso joined the body of State Lawyers by examination in 2001. After one year of practice in Barcelona, he moved to the position of State Lawyer Coordinator of the Contentious-Administrative Courts of Madrid.
In September 2002, Borja joined the High Court of Justice of Madrid as a State Lawyer Coordinator of Criminal Matters, a period in which he gained experience in tax offenses and defense of senior officials of the General State Administration. In May 2005, Borja de Obeso was State Lawyer in the Civil Law Section of the High Court of Justice of Madrid.
Borja specializes in international arbitration as well as civil and criminal litigation and contentious administrative actions. He has particular expertise in disputes in the financial sector and has advised a number of major financial institutions.
- Defence and representation in court of one of the most important European energy multinationals in a procedure related to the takeover bid of one of the most important Spanish energy companies. Borja de Obeso led the international defence team of the European multinational
- Defence and representation in court of an international financial institution in a legal proceeding concerning the breach of a corporate operation for an amount exceeding USD1.5 million.
- Defence and representation in court of a Spanish financial institution regarding the breach of an insurance contract. Claim amount in excess of EUR70 million.
- Defense and representation in a lawsuit of an energy multinational in a liability claim of administrators. Claim amount in excess of EUR20 million.
- Defense and representation in arbitration proceedings of a public entity in telecommunications matters. Claim amount greater than EUR70 million.
- Defence and representation in arbitration proceedings of an energy company in connection with a breach of contract for the turnkey construction of an electricity generating plant. Claim amount in excess of EUR20 million.
- Defence and representation in ICC arbitration proceedings of an automobile company in a case concerning non-compliance with the terms and conditions of a sales contract. Amount of the claim EUR20 million.
- Defence and representation of a financial institution in ICC arbitration proceedings against an aeronautical multinational in connection with the enforcement of a guarantee. Claim amount in excess of EUR6 million.
- Universidad de Granada, 1993
- Best Lawyers (since 2015) - Arbitration and Mediation
- Chambers Global (since 2012) - Dispute Resolution – Spain
- He is very practical and does a really good job. The Chambers Global. Dispute Resolution
- Borja de Obeso Pérez-Victoria is highlighted by clients, who particularly value his personal approach. The Chambers Global. Dispute Resolution
- Borja de Obeso is a "remarkable professional, no doubt one of the best in Spain for dispute resolution". The Legal 500. Dispute Resolution
- Borja de Obeso Pérez-Victoria is admired for his wealth of experience in litigation and his robust knowledge of contract law. The Chambers Global. Dispute Resolution
- State lawyer and litigation specialist Borja de Obeso Pérez-Victoria was recently made partner, and enters the rankings following enthusiastic client feedback: "He's young but experienced, solid and extremely committed". The Chambers Europe. Dispute Resolution
- Manual de delitos contra la Hacienda Pública. La prescripción, Ed. BOE, 2004
- Estudios sobre la nueva Ley General Tributaria. Infracciones y sanciones, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales, 2005
- Manual de expropiación forzosa, Thomson Aranzadi, 2007
- International Fraud and Asset Tracing, European Lawyer, 2009
- He gave a course on the modifications introduced in the Civil Procedure Rules to the State Legal Service in the AEAT (Spanish Tax Office)
- He lectured in Civil Law and Tax Collection Management in the State Department of Tax Inspectors
- Lecture on Tax Crime in the training course for government employees of the State Department of Tax Inspectors
- Practicum Litigation and Arbitration ICADE
- 11/2018 – Today DLA Piper Spain. Head of the Litigation and Arbitration practice.
- 2007 – 2018 Madrid based law firm. Partner in Litigation & Arbitration since 2010.
- 2005 – 2007 State Lawyer in the Civil Law Section of the High Court of Justice of Madrid
- 2002 – 2005 State Lawyer Coordinator of Criminal Matters in the High Court of Justice of Madrid
- 2001 – 2002 State Lawyer Coordinator of the Contentious-Administrative Courts of Madrid
Memberships And Affiliations
- Body of Counsels for the State
- Madrid Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Pricoa on the granting of a financing to Real Betis Balompié
2 February 2023 .2 minute read