Jane Childs has been at the forefront of advising the financial lines insurance market on rate-fixing scandals, prospectus liability issues and a range of retail mis-selling and misconduct claims for the past two decades.
She also handles significant D&O claims involving US securities class action exposure, wide-ranging regulatory investigations and complex offshore trust and administration liability issues.
Jane works closely with W&I insurers, advising on coverage across a myriad of warranty and tax indemnity claims on a global basis.
Jane leads the International Financial Lines Insurance Disputes Group of DLA Piper in the UK.
- Advising PI and D&O insurers on coverage for a range of consumer redress schemes dealing with mis-selling and misconduct across the UK insurance and banking sectors.
- Providing coverage and strategy advice to insurers of D&O and prospectus (POSI) insurance for a UK retail bank whose directors face billions of dollars of group litigation claims in the US and the UK as well as global regulatory investigations.
- Advising insurers on D&O Policy issues for outside entity directors of an international telecommunications company, who are facing fraudulent trading and breach of fiduciary duty claims in the US, London and Luxembourg, in excess of EUR1 billion.
- Advising D&O insurers on response of policy issued to high profile global commodities trader who faces US Class Actions and multi-jurisdictional investigations into possible bribery and corruption.
- Advising W&I insurers on alleged financial statements warranties breaches regarding undisclosed liabilities of an international online insurance business and loss of USD40million investment.
- Advising W&I insurers on alleged breach of applicable law warranties in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of healthcare sector properties and losses in excess of GBP20million.
- Providing coverage advice to W&I insurers on a range of tax warranties and indemnities including losses arising out of the miscalculation of US tax relief, misclassification of goods, and tax penalties.
- University of Auckland, Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)/Bachelor of Law (LLB) with Honours
- Jane continues to be ranked in Legal 500, UK 2023 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation.
- Clients of Jane say she is “extremely experienced and is one of our go to people” - Chambers, UK 2023
- Jane is rated as “very thorough and extremely responsive” - Chambers, UK 2022
- Jane is acknowledged as having “notable expertise in D&O and W&I policies” and clients describe her as “very technical, with a great attention to detail” - Chambers, UK 2021
- Jane has been recognised by the market for over a decade as an “expert in financial lines” - Legal 500, UK 2012
- Jane is regarded by insurance clients as an "outstanding lawyer" for her "market appreciation, thoroughness and gravitas" - The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report, 2016
- 2006-20, Partner, Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation, London office of an international law firm
- 2003-05, Senior Associate, Financial Lines Coverage Claims, London office of an international law firm
- 1997-2003, Associate, Professional Indemnity and Financial Lines Coverage Claims, London based international law firm
- 1994-97, Solicitor and Barrister, Commercial Litigation, New Zealand based law firm
My latest insights
DLA Piper's Practical Guide for Claims Managers in 2022 – Part 8
23 August 2022 .18 minute read
DLA Piper's Practical Guide for Claims Managers in 2022 - Part 3: Reservation of Rights
30 March 2022 .22 minute read