Head of Finance and Projects, Perth
Alex Jones has over 16 years’ experience of helping clients with the acquisition, feasibility assessment, development and operation of mining and mineral resource projects and major infrastructure projects.
He assists clients with negotiating the full range of commercial agreements associated with the acquisition and development of projects, identifying and obtaining necessary tenure and approvals, and resolving associated contentious matters including administrative proceedings, judicial review of administrative decisions and commercial disputes.
Alex is typically engaged by clients early at a project-origination stage so he can assist with scoping and feasibility assessment, development strategy, the management of critical path approvals, government liaison and stakeholder management.
He looks after a large number of junior and mid-cap explorers and miners who he has assisted with the aggregation, management, retention and commercialisation of tenement portfolios across several regions, including Western Australia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia and South America.
Alex also has broad experience in the development of bulk commodity supply chains and the provision of infrastructure and essential services in remote areas (including power, water, gas, transport and accommodation). He has an unparalleled track record in successfully delivering linear infrastructure on schedule despite the significant tenure, approval and stakeholder obstacles.
His areas of experience include:
- Tenement transactions including asset sale, share sale, joint venture, royalty and split commodity agreements
- Off-take, haulage and handling agreements
- Land access agreements and tenure solutions
- Regulatory approvals
- Native title and Aboriginal heritage
- Proceedings before the Mining Warden
- Mining Act compliance
- Environmental impact assessment and planning approvals
- Judicial review of administrative decisions including Ministerial decisions
- Government concessions
- Compulsory acquisition
Alex's experience includes advising:
- Abengoa on confidential renewable energy projects
- Artemis on Mining Warden's proceedings
- API on the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project
- BC Iron on the Nullagine Joint Venture
- Byrnecut on the Slivovo Joint Venture (Republic of Kosovo)
- Cassini on the West Musgrave Project
- Gold Road on the Yamarna Belt
- Mitsubishi on the Jack Hills Mine and Oakajee Port & Rail Project
- Mirabela Nickel on the Santa Rita Nickel Project (Brazil)
- ResCap on private equity fund investment
- Samsung C&T on the Roy Hill Project
- Sandfire on the De Grussa Copper/Gold Mine
- Saracen on the Carosue Dam
Awards and recognition
- Ranked for Energy & Natural Resources: Mining in Australia by Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific 2022
- Ranked for Energy, Natural Resources and Project Development in Australia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
Over many years, Alex has provided support to industry by preparing submissions to Government in relation to regulatory reform, including through his active participation in industry committees including:
- Australian Mining & Petroleum Law Association
- Chamber of Minerals & Energy
- Association of Mineral Exploration Companies