Dr Constanze KrenzPartner
I believe in working as a trusted adviser and using my extensive experience in both, patent infringement and patent nullity proceedings, to always get the best possible result for our clients.
Constanze is a counsel in the German Intellectual Property and Technology Group of DLA Piper and is based in the Munich office. Constanze is an experienced patent litigator who represents clients from various industries in complex patent infringement and invalidity proceedings.
Constanze has substantial experience in litigating major patent disputes with a focus on infringement proceedings, including strategic advice and the respective antitrust advice (e.g. on standard-essential patents). Further, Constanze has particular experience in advising and representing clients in nullity and opposition proceedings with a focus on the IT (consumer electronics, telecommunications, media and technology) and industrial sectors, including the automotive, aviation and manufacturing industries.
She also has experience in non-contentious client counseling, including licensing, M&A related advice and employee inventions as well as in Unfair Competition Law related questions.
- Advice and representation of two globally leading automotive suppliers in multiple extensive patent litigation campaigns brought by a US-based chip manufacturer against several leading car manufacturers, relating to various technologies integrated in multimedia- and infotainment systems in vehicles such as connectivity, interfacing, networking, data transmission, graphics processing, etc.
- Advising and representing a globally leading automotive supplier in several very extensive patent litigation campaigns brought by multiple holders of standard-essential patents relating to mobile telecommunication technology against a leading car manufacturer, including licensing negotiations.
- Advising and representing a globally leading US-based IT-/Software manufacturer in patent litigation brought by a Non-Practicing Entity, relating to technology for touchscreen devices. Further including representation of two OEM manufacturers, in each case in the respective infringement proceedings and in a joint nullity action.
- Advising and representing a global market leader in Wired and Wireless LAN Access Infrastructure in a patent litigation brought by a Non-Practicing Entity, based on the alleged infringement of multiple patents relating to virtual private local area network services (VPLS).
- Advising and representing a German globally leading supplier of technology and services in a multitude of patent infringement and validity proceedings relating to automotive parts against an international competitor.
- Advising a globally leading automotive supplier in patent matters with respect to the assertion and licensing of standard-essential patents by individual patent holders and patent pools.
- Advising and representing an Italian world market leader for motor sport and extreme sport apparel and accessories in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute with its competitor, based on multiple patents, in both the infringement and parallel nullity and opposition proceedings.
- Advice and representation of a customer and licensee of a globally leading US-based multinational computer technology corporation as defendant in patent infringement proceedings against a lawsuit brought by one of the largest non-practicing entities regarding network technology, as well as in the corresponding nullity proceedings.
- Advising and representing a globally leading US-based provider of biometric identity verification and enrolment solutions in patent infringement and validity proceedings relating to personal authentication systems.
- Advising and representing a globally leading airline in patent litigation proceedings (infringement and nullity actions) brought by a non-practicing entity relating to mobile boarding services and the respective App.
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main, Dr. jur., 2016
- Higher Regional Court of Karlsruhe, Second State Examination, 2013
- University of Mannheim, First State Examination, 2011
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for intellectual property: patent litigation
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended as “one to watch” for intellectual property law
Prior to joining DLA Piper at its Munich office in 2015, Constanze worked at a leading international law firm in Munich, prior to that she worked as a law clerk at a well-known IP boutique in Duesseldorf.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Bar Association (DAV)
- German Association for Intellectual Property Rights and Unfair Competition (GRUR)
My latest insights
Nail in the coffin for covenants not to sue? An analysis of FCJ judgment, X ZR 123/20,...
3 May 2023 .4 minute read