Leontia McArdleLegal Director
Leontia McArdle has extensive experience in commercial and financial litigation and dispute resolution. She has advised on the resolution of disputes from both a claimant and defendant perspective, in High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings, together with various forms of alternative dispute resolution on a national and cross jurisdictional basis.
Leontia’s practice has a particular focus on group litigation and mass claims’ claims management activity; breach of warranty claims; shareholder disputes, professional negligence claims; litigation issues in relation to commercial supply, distribution and licensing agreements, and asset recovery. She also advises on financial regulatory and compliance issues including engagement with FOS and other regulatory bodies such as the ICO and FCA.
Financial Litigation Experience
- Assisting on a major international and cross jurisdictional investigation that has been launched by the US Government against a well-known European banking group for alleged breaches of the OFAC regulations in relation to banking transactions to sanctioned jurisdictions such as Libya, Syria, Sudan, Cuba, North Korea and Myanmar.
- Advising a major UK bank in relation to the defence of numerous defective product claims raised in the PIP Implant Group Litigation. The client bank was identified as a “CCA Defendant” and seen as a monetary recourse for the claimants to pursue section 75 Consumer Credit Act 1974 claims following the multiple clinic defendant insolvencies.
- Advising numerous financial clients in relation to mass-complaints relating to the alleged non-disclosure of commissions and issues of vulnerability and affordability.
- Advising international fintech companies in relation to the issuing, service and enforcement of claims in multiple jurisdictions in respect of claims for online platform misuse, breach of contract and overpayment of monies.
- Valued advisor in particular on retail finance disputes, acting on some of the major mass claims consumer credit ‘unfair relationship’ issues; complaints handling compliance; handling of claims management company and claimant litigation firms; resolving dispute referrals to the Financial Ombudsman Service etc.
- Advising a major retail bank on Equality Act issues and litigation arising from the off-boarding of a selection of business and individual customers, attributible to AML, KYC and commercial risk factors.
- Nottingham Law School, Legal Practice Course, 2005
- Nottingham Law School, Post Graduate Diploma in Law, PgDL, 2004
- University of Manchester, English and American Studies, BA Hons, 2003
- “Rising Star” – Commercial Litigation; Legal 500
- “Mention” – Financial Litigation; Legal 500
- “ECJ Interprets Consumer Credit Directive”, Journal of International Banking and Finance Law, May 2017
Leontia speaks regularly at seminars to members of the Finance and Leasing Association. She is also a significant contributor to the in-house training programme for clients.
Leontia has worked in-house at a Big Six Utilities retail supplier.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Committee Member of the NorthWest branch of Women in Banking & Finance Association
My latest insights
Bott & Co v Ryanair: The Impact on Direct Compensation Payments in High Volume Low Fee...
24 March 2022 .7 minute read