Dr Volker LemmerCounsel
Dr Volker Lemmer focuses on all (re-)insurance regulatory and insurance distribution law matters, especially in the context of the implementation of Solvency II and the IDD.
On a regular basis, he advises (re-)insurance companies on governance and compliance issues including risk management, outsourcing or other aspects also in the context of group-wide (re-)organizations.
Furthermore, Volker Lemmer frequently advises purchaser or seller of shares in insurance companies (share deals) or of insurance contract portfolios (asset deals), also in connection with the supervisory notification or approval procedures vis-à-vis the supervisory authority. Another focus of his work is advising institutional investors, originators or other parties of investment structures on the regulatory requirements for asset investments of insurance companies under Solvency I and II (asset management).
Last but not least, Volker Lemmer also advises on insurance distribution law issues, which arise in particular with the implementation of the IDD.
- Advising insurance companies and credit institutions on governance and compliance issues including risk management and outsourcing
- Advising insurance companies and credit institutions on issues in the context of the supervision of its managers
- Representing insurance companies and credit institutions vis-à-vis BaFin in court as well
- Advising purchaser or seller of major participating interests in credit institutions or insurance companies
- Advising institutional investors, originators or other parties of investment programs on all issues regarding the investment regulation under German insurance supervisory law
- Advising companies operating in the real economy on all regulatory matters in the context of licensing requirements under the German Banking Act, Insurance Supervisory Act and Act on Supervision of Payment Services
- Universität Marburg, First State Examination
- Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf, Second State Examination
- Universität Marburg, Ph.D.
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for insurance: advice to insurers; “excellent in insurance supervisory law”.
- Commenting Sect. 124 et seq. of the German Insurance Supervisory Act re asset investments of insurance companies, in: Kaulbach/Bähr/Pohlmann, Commentary on VAG, 6th Edition, 2019
- Commenting Sect. 245 et seq. of the German Insurance Supervisory Act re supervision of insurance groups, in: Kaulbach/Bähr/Pohlmann, Commentary on VAG, 6th Edition, 2019
- Integrated Financial Supervisory. An Administrative Structural Analysis of the Supervision of Banks and Insurance Companies, 2014
Before joining DLA Piper at the beginning of 2013 Dr. Volker Lemmer had been a research assistant at the Research Center in Financial Services Law (Forschungsstelle für Finanzdienstleistungsrecht) at the University of Marburg for several years (2004-2007) and worked for two years as a lawyer in a Düsseldorf based law firm also with a focus on insurance and banking litigation as well as regulatory matters (2010-2012).
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises DIC Asset AG on acquisition of two major properties in Munich for about...
9 June 2021 .4 minute read