Protecting and enforcing your critical assets
Protecting your life sciences IP means strengthening your competitive edge and creating value. We provide seamless, cross-border advice to develop, protect, and enforce all forms of life sciences IP rights in an increasingly competitive global market.
Strategic and forward-thinking IP strategies ensure your developments and discoveries remain valuable assets that appreciate over time.
We design strategies that protect and maximize all forms of life sciences IP. From protecting confidential information, securing trade secrets, obtaining critical patent protection and managing global trademark portfolios, to executing joint ventures, collaborations, and strategic licensing agreements, and asserting multi-front patent litigation.
“Whatever IP challenges your business faces, we’ll provide innovative solutions that anticipate risk and maximize opportunity.”
Our clients include a wide range of innovator companies from startups to well-established, multinational public corporations, and premier research universities. They turn to us for guidance in areas ranging from pharmaceuticals, biologics, and nutraceuticals, to medical devices and digital health.
We have a large team of highly experienced lawyers in 40+ countries, many with scientific degrees. They understand the most sophisticated and complex technologies and the nuances of IP and regulatory law – saving valuable time and resources.
Whatever IP challenges your business faces, we’ll provide innovative solutions that anticipate risk and maximize opportunity.
Awards and recognition
- Harbour Biomed v. Teneobio (D. Del. 2021): Heavy chain-only antibodies (HCAbs) are at the cutting edge of drug discovery and development. In a matter involving China, the Netherlands, the UK and the US, we have led the international investigation and the litigation asserting several foundational patents that claim and cover a novel transgenic animal platform for creating and identifying HCAbs. This patented platform has garnered significant attention from numerous large bio/pharmaceutical companies.
- TwinStrand v. Guardant Health (D. Del. 2021 & PTAB): We are leading several teams of lawyers who are protecting and defending valuable IP rights covering next generation DNA sequencing technology. Navigating a crowded field of technologies and patents, we are protecting valuable IP rights that continue to be tested.
- In the Matter of Certain Botulinum Toxin Products (ITC 2020): We obtained a significant and unprecedented victory for Allergan against Evolus and Daewoong Pharma, protecting Allergan’s BOTOX product. Based on the evidence we uncovered, the ALJ found that Defendants misappropriated both the bacterial strain and manufacturing process parameters for the manufacture of a 900 KDa botulinum neurotoxin product, and that defendants intended to significantly harm Allergan’s BOTOX franchise.
- Pfizer v. Teva, et. al. (D. Del. 2021 & 2022): In a series of Hatch-Waxman cases, we have successfully represented Pfizer and its patent portfolio related to Xeljanz XR and IR tablets and oral solution.
- Spectral v. Scintica (W.D. Tex. 2022): In ongoing multi-national litigation, we represent Spectral Instruments, which has designed and patented the state of the art bioluminescent molecular imaging devices. We are pursuing patent infringement claims and damages against several US distributors of foreign made, infringing products that incorporate the novel and patented features.
- Advised Knopp Biosciences LLC in strategic patent and exclusivity counseling for its small-molecule Kv7 Ion Channel Platform technology, and advised Knopp during its acquisition of the platform by Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd. The transaction included an upfront payment comprising USD65 million in Biohaven common shares and USD35 million in cash to Knopp Biosciences with success-based earnout payments (i) up to USD325 million based on BHV-7000 developmental and regulatory epilepsy milestones through approvals in the US, EU and Japan, (ii) up to an additional USD250 million based on developmental and regulatory milestones for the Kv7 pipeline development in other indications and additional country approvals, and (iii) up to USD562.5 million in scaled, commercial annual sales-based milestones and scaled royalty payments for BHV-7000 and the pipeline programs, starting at high single digits and peaking at low teens for BHV-7000 and starting at mid-single digits for the pipeline programs.
- Providing patent and license counsel and strategy for Personal Genome Diagnostics (PGDx), which is developing a standardized workflow and clinical NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) kits for laboratories worldwide. We were instrumental in its USD575 million acquisition by Labcorp in late December 2021.
- Advising Delfi Diagnostics on patent and license matters for exclusively in-licensed technology from Johns Hopkins University and the development of a patent portfolio for the company. We also handled due diligence in relationship to the company’s recent USD100 million round of VC funding. Delfi Diagnostics provides biological and bioinformatics technologies for the early detection of cancer.
- Representing Caelum Biosciences in a patent, contracts and contract/IP litigation matter involving an anti-amyloid monoclonal antibody drug targeted for the treatment of amyloidosis. We also represented Caelum in its recent USD500 million acquisition by Alexion/Astra Zeneca.
- Advising Dermavant Sciences GmbH on strategic IP counseling, licensing and patent procurement, including Orange Book listing submissions and a patent term extension application following FDA approval of VTAMA (tapinarof) 1% topical cream.
- Advising a global pharmaceutical organization on its negotiations for the supply of its COVID-19 vaccine across EU and EEA countries.
- Advising Guerbet on a multi-billion euro patent collaboration in relation to a medical contrast agent. The cross-border, cross-practice team worked on a wide range of complex commercial, competition, IP and patent issues to secure a landmark agreement for the client.
- Advising Syneos Health on the implementation of clinical trial-related services following the acquisition of Illingworth Research Group in more than 50 jurisdictions worldwide. In particular, we advised the client on the provision of nursing services in the context of clinical trials to be rendered at trial subjects’ homes and at the direction of the trial’s principal investigator.
- Advising Medtronic in relation to its diabetes business across 29 jurisdictions, on the possibility of marketing, selling and shipping its products directly to customers in each jurisdiction.
- Advising Dexcom across all aspects of medical device regulation including: (i) discontinuing a previous version of its CGM device in 40 countries; (ii) rolling out a sampling program with HCPs across Europe; and (iii) transparency obligations in the MedTech and national industry codes.
News and insights
Obesity coverage and Medicare: Q&A with George Hampton of Currax Pharmaceuticals
18 September 2023 .4 minute read
New frontiers in genome editing and an update on the CRISPR patent wars
16 August 2023 .5 minute read