Chair, Space Exploration and Innovation practice
Christian is the Chair of DLA Piper's Space Exploration and Innovation practice. He counsels space exploration and technology companies on regulatory and compliance issues surrounding rapidly evolving industries, national security matters and related risk management, and represents corporations and individuals in government investigations.
Christian brings nearly three decades of national security experience to DLA Piper, first serving as an advisor in the Department of Energy and Department of Homeland Security, and later, as a legal advisor in the Department of Defense, Office of General Counsel. More recently and immediately prior to joining DLA Piper, Christian served as a federal prosecutor and senior official in the U.S. Department of Justice. As a trial attorney in the Department of Justice's Counterintelligence and Export Control Section, Christian managed complex cross-border investigations spanning numerous countries and involving large multinational corporations, as well as U.S. and non-U.S. individuals. His investigations focused on a wide range of violations, both civil and criminal, including economic sanctions and export controls, theft of trade secrets, money laundering, insider threats, and cyber intrusions. Christian also served as a Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Office of Legal Policy (OLP), where he advised DOJ leadership on national security matters.
Christian is a veteran and former Navy SEAL.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- M.A., Political Science, University of California at Berkeley
- M.A., International Relations, Yale University
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2022-2023)
- Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service
- FBI Director's Award for Outstanding Counterintelligence Investigation
- National Intelligence Medallion
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) Law Enforcement Award
- National Security Division's Assistant Attorney General Award for Excellence (2016, 2017, 2019)
- Author, "Spies among us: State-sponsored actors want to steal your sensitive information and company culture is your best defense," Culturati: Magazine, December 19, 2022
- Speaker, "Industrials - Latest sanctions and export controls on Russia and China," 4 May 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions and Export Controls on Russia: An International Perspective on What Canadian Companies Need to Know and How to Prepare," 7 April 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions and export controls targeting Russia: An international perspective on key issues and risk mitigation for the commodities sector," 30 March 2022
- Speaker, "New Sanctions and Export Controls on Russia and China: What You Need to Know Now to Be Prepared for "Cold War 2.0"," AGMA, 16 March 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions Enforcement at Sea," Stockton Center for International Law, U.S. Naval War College, 19 January 2022