Prof Dr Ludger Giesberts LL.M.Partner
Prof. Dr Ludger Giesberts advises companies, financial institutions, trade associations, public companies, federal and state authorities and municipalities on all matters of public commercial law. He focuses on environmental and planning law, product safety and product liability law, EU law, aviation law, export control law as well as advising on public-private partnership projects and government affairs.
He represents companies, authorities and associations before the civil and administrative courts as well as the ECJ and CFI, including the German Airports Association (ADV), airlines, various federal ministries and industrial companies. Ludger Giesberts has many years of experience in representing various federal authorities in (EU) state liability and public liability matters.
Ludger Giesberts is responsible for the area of ESG across all practice groups in Germany. He is Co-Head of the DLA Piper International Product Stewardship and Product Liability Steering Group. He is also a member of the firm-wide Brexit Committee, which coordinates and implements the firm's strategy with regard to the legal consequences of Brexit.
In the area of environmental law, Ludger advises, inter alia, on product-related environmental law, licensing law, waste and disposal law, immission, soil and water protection and nature conservation law. Ludger also advises on environmental and planning law issues in infrastructure projects and M&A transactions as well as foreign trade law issues in this regard. He also has extensive experience in industrial and occupational accidents and other crisis and incident situations.
In the area of product law, Ludger advises on product compliance issues such as product responsibility, product liability and product safety. He has extensive experience in packaging law and on product labelling obligations and the coordination of worldwide product recalls.
- Judicial representation of industry and waste disposal companies on environmental and waste law before administrative courts, Court of Justice of EU and European Court of Justice
- Advising a chemical company regarding the sale of a business segment based in a chemical park
- Advising an energy company with respect to the upcoming legislative changes regarding the use of fracking technologies
- Advising companies on product law / product safety, including recalls, as well as automobile manufacturers in the field of "autonomous driving"
- Advising an industrial company in the context of an environmental damage case
- Advising airlines and airports on aviation law
- Advising infrastructure companies and federal states on EU state aid law and representation before the EU Commission
- Judicial representation of companies as well as national authorities (inter alia ministries, the German Federal Aviation Authority) in (EU) state liability matters.
- Universities of Trier and Bonn, First and Second State Examination, Dr. jur.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.M.
- The German University of Administrative Sciences Speyer, Magister Rerum Publicarum
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023:Frequently recommended for public law: constitutional and economic administrative law, foreign trade law and the transport sector: regulatory; 2021/2022: frequently recommended for environmental and planning law: product-related environmental law; “good judgement in reporting obligations under foreign trade law”, client; 2022-2019: “very competent, absolutely reliable, always comes up with innovative solutions”, client, “market-leading expert”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for public law: environmental and planning law (including product related advice), trade and distribution law: foreign trade law, compliance, dispute resolution: commercial disputes and advice of the transport sector; 2022: “Excellent expertise with fast and efficient advisory practice.”
- Chambers Europe Germany 2023: Recommended for public law; 2022: "practical and solution-oriented"; "high-class advice and excellent accessibility"
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recognised as “lawyer of the year” for environmental law (2020) and recommended for environmental law, public law as well as litigation
Ludger is a honorary professor (Honorarprofessor) at the University of Cologne, where he lectures on German public economic law, EU and communal law.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German-British Lawyer Association
- Association for Environmental Law
My latest insights
Keeping Your Supply Chains: Practical issues along the supply chain
12 December 2023 .2 minute read
Selected Legal and Practical Issues on the EU-Regulation on Deforestation-free Products
19 October 2023 .2 minute read