DK Donghyun KimOf Counsel
DK Donghyun Kim is an of counsel at DLA Piper's Seoul office in Korea. DK also worked in DLA Piper's San Francisco office before rejoining Seoul office. DK focuses on cross-border M&A and investment, joint ventures, and corporate advisory matters for Korean and international clients in manufacturing, chemical, technology, energy, and construction sectors. He has particular capability with complex cross-border joint ventures, supply chain acquisitions, offtake investments for Korean clients. He regularly advises on high profile, complex cross-border transactions and has significant experience executing transactions across the globe.
- Assist LG Chem with two joint ventures with Archer-Daniels-Midland to manufacture PLA Polymer products in the US.
- Assist POSCO with a joint venture with the Ravensthorpe Nickel Operation for the nickel mine in Australia for USD 240 million to boost its electric vehicle battery business in 2021.
- Assist POSCO International with the AUD 860M acquisition of a public Australian gas producer Senex Energy in Australia.
- Assisting a major Korean steel maker with a potential acquisition of 100% of a hot briquetted iron facility located in Texas for USD 612M.
- Assisting a major Korean steel maker with a joint development of lithium solid-state batteries with a Taiwanese battery manufacturer.
- Assisting a major Korean battery manufacturer with the potential acquisition of a nickel mine in Australia.
- Assisting a major Korean automobile manufacturer with the acquisition of an electric vehicle manufacturer in the UK.
- Assisting a major steelmaker with corporate matters in relation to its investment in an iron ore mine in Canada and Australia.
- Assisting a Korean heavy equipment manufacturer with the sale of 9.5MW and 6MW solar farms in Romania.
- Assisting a Korean automobile capital services provider with a joint venture in France to provide automobile capital service in the EU.
- Assisting a major Korean heavy equipment company with a potential acquisition of a Houston based turbine equipment and O&M provider with global presence.
- Assisting a major Korean entertainment company with a potential acquisition of a European home shopping network.
- Assisting a Korean government in connection with the acquisition of the supply agreement to purchase vaccines.
- Assisting a Korean electronics manufacturer with the restructuring of their mobile communications business in Europe.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, B.F.A., 2004
- Whittier College School of Law, J.D., 2007
"Acritas Star" for three consecutive years (2019-2021) by Acritas.
"Up and Coming" lawyer for Corporate/M&A: International Firms, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2023
A client notes DK "routinely assists with regulatory issues arising out of corporate transactions" and he is also "adept at handling outbound investments."
DK is also ranked by Legal 500 Asia Pacific as the "Rising Star" for Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms (2023).
DK is named as the "Associate to Watch" for Dispute Regulation: International Firms by Chambers Asia Pacific for 6 consecutive years where DK is "noted for his expertise in corporate and regulatory disputes."
DK has also been selected as the Stand-out Lawyer by Thompson Reuters in 2023
Licences and Certifications
- Awarded a Certificate of Completion of International Finance: Policy, Regulation, and Transactions, March 2023, Harvard Law School Executive Education
- Columnist for the Law Times (lawtimes.co.kr) Opinion section (2020):
- Korean Bar Association/Korea In-House Counsel Association, "Investing into the US: Introduction to CFIUS and FIRRMA".
- Key issues in international equity joint ventures
- Managing risks in M&A transactions
- Mining Investment 101
- Post-merger integration
Before joining DLA Piper, DK worked as an in-house counsel at POSCO, one of the largest steel makers in the world, focusing on cross-border investment and related disputes. DK was the recipient of “POSCO CEO's Award of Excellence” and “Legal Affairs Dept. EVP's Award of Excellence.” DK served as a judge advocate in the Republic of Korea’s Navy and Marine Corp. Before he joined the military, he worked at the Korean Government Legal Service firm advising government agencies and state owned entities in connection with cross-border transactions, foreign direct investments and general corporate matters.
Courts and forums
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Foreign Law Firm Association of Korea – Secretary General
- The International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL) – Director