Matthew RobertsSenior Associate
Matthew Roberts is an energy and resources projects lawyer who advises clients at all stages of the project development life-cycle, with a particular focus on the early stages of development of hard rock exploration and mining projects.
Whilst his primary practice focuses on assisting clients with exploration and mining projects in Australia, particularly Western Australia, Matt has also assisted clients with the development of projects across Africa, and has been engaged to draft mining law and regulation across the globe including for the Governments of Afghanistan, Ecuador and Somalia.
Matt assists clients in navigating State, Federal and local regulation, provides access to land and tenure solutions, and engages with stakeholders including Government agencies, regulators, concurrent land users and native title holders and claimants.
He also advises in relation to all manner of mining transactions including land access and compensation agreements, tenement and share sale agreements, farm-in and joint venture arrangements, mining subleases and sublicences, split commodity agreements and royalty agreements.
Matt also assists clients with mergers and acquisitions including asset level due diligence, project finance and securitisation, and advises on commercial mining disputes in the Warden’s Court and the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Advising Saracen Mineral Holdings Limited in relation to the acquisition of Barrick Gold Corporation’s 50% participating interest in the Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Joint Venture, the owner of the Kalgoorlie Super Pit, and its subsequent AUD16 merger with Northern Star Resources Limited.
- Advising Salt Lake Potash Limited in relation to the development of the development of the Lake Way Sulphate of Potash Project, including the negotiation and execution of split commodity agreements, tenement acquisition agreements, access agreements and corporate restructuring.
- Assisting Leichhardt Industrials Pty Ltd in developing the Eramurra Solar Salt Project, including negotiating third party access agreements to procure the grant of mining tenure, advising in relation to land and tenure related matters and engagement with stakeholders, and commencing and prosecuting forfeiture proceedings under the Mining Act 1978 (WA), securing the forfeiture of an exploration licence held by Mineralogy Pty Ltd.
- Advising participants in the Australian Premium Iron Joint Venture in relation to the development of the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project including third party access, stakeholder management and proceedings before the Mining Warden, including in relation an objection to a survey of a mining lease held by the API JV participants lodged by the participants of the Mt Goldsworthy Joint Venture.
- Advising Altura Mining Limited in relation to the development of the Pilgangoora Lithium Project in Western Australia including negotiation of the grant of ancillary tenure required in connection with mining, Government liaison and advice in relation to statutory approvals.
- Assisting Kalium Lakes Limited in connection with the development of its Beyondie Sulphate of Potash Project, including negotiation of third party mining and pastoral access agreements, tenement sale and purchase agreements and split commodity arrangements and royalty agreements.
- Advising the Government of the Republic of Afghanistan in relation to legislative reform and the amendment of the Minerals Law and Minerals Regulation, and the award of various mining concessions.
- Advising a confidential multinational JV EPC contractor on issues in relation to contractual disputes, concerning variety of contractual interpretation issues including remuneration entitlements, contractual rights and obligations, breach of contract and termination and further non-contractual claims.
- Assisting the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations in undertaking the 2017 Technical Review of the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth).
- University of Western Australia, Bachelor of Laws (LLB), 2013
- University of Western Australia, Corporate Finance and Financial Accounting, Bachelor of Commerce (LLB), 2013
Memberships And Affiliations
- Australian Mining & Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA)
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Committee member of the Australian Mining & Petroleum Law Association Young Professionals Committee
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Pantoro Limited on acquisition and capital raising
13 February 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises OZ Minerals on land access agreement for A$1.7b West Musgrave...
26 September 2022 .2 minute read