Ted Yi concentrates his practice in foreign direct investment, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures, post-acquisition integration, contractual matters and general corporate counselling for multinational companies as well as claims and disputes arising from overseas construction projects of Korean construction companies.
As a corporate lawyer, Ted has extensive experience in representing numerous companies including major Korean auto manufacturing companies in a wide variety of cross-border transactions including direct investment, acquisition, and joint venture. He also provides general corporate counselling including, but not limited to, the development and implementation of a global corporate compliance program for multinational companies.
He also brings a strong track record in investment and operational structuring from an international tax perspective as well as international trade practice for companies across a wide spectrum of industries and jurisdictions from emerging enterprises to major multinationals.
Areas of experience
- Foreign direct investments
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity transactions
- Joint ventures
- International construction
- International taxes
- International trade
- Advising a major Korean heavy industry company on the recovery of its investment in the power plant in Europe
- Advising a major Korean heavy industry company in relation to the dispute against the tax authority in KSA
- Advising a group of major financial institutions on a debt recovery for the defaulted bonds issued in Hong Kong
- Managing and overseeing an ICC arbitration under Algerian law over various issues including owner's prevention of the construction of the major fertilizer plant in Algeria
- Managing and overseeing an ICC arbitration under Qatari law over warranty and decennial liability issues with fuel tank units in Qatar
- Assisting a Korean engineering company with establishing a joint venture in Poland to develop chemical product manufacturing plant
- Assisting a Korean heavy industry company with its potential acquisition of an energy turbine company in the US
- Assisting a Korean home-shopping and entertainment company with a potential acquisition of a pan-European shopping network conglomerate with operations in more than 40 countries
- Advising a state-owned Korean power company on its bid to construct a nuclear power plant with two APR-1400 nuclear reactors in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Advising a sovereign wealth fund in Korea in relation to its various investments into overseas alternative asset funds
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law 1993
- B.S., School of Management, State University of New York at Buffalo 1986
Before joining DLA Piper, Ted worked as the Head of International Legal Affairs at Daewoo Engineering & Construction, Co., Ltd. He managed over fifty on-going overseas projects, including petroleum refinery, power plant, infrastructure and civil works, administering over their respective construction schedules, potential delays and catch-up plans, claims and possible legal disputes with project owners and/or subcontractors.
Ted also worked at a prominent law firm in Seoul as foreign legal counsel advising on multijurisdictional and multi-disciplined investment projects and matters involving corporate formation, corporate governance, foreign exchange controls, transaction taxes and import duties, among others.
He has also undertaken numerous international expansion and mergers and acquisition projects for multinational companies focusing on deal structuring, transfer pricing strategies and international trade issues from both KPMG US and Korea.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Arbitrator, the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)