Olivier Reisch focuses on intellectual property and technology. He advises key players of the financial and e-commerce sectors on all aspects of intellectual property, technology projects, media, telecommunications, e-commerce, e-payments and data privacy.
Olivier is a leading authority on GDPR, data protection and privacy issues, on IT outsourcing and procurement projects, in particular in the financial sector and the investment fund industry and he handles complex multi-jurisdictional projects.
With his strong background in civil law and commercial litigation, Olivier also handles challenging litigation matters and has acquired significant real estate know-how handling asset and share deals relating to office buildings.
- Advising on a complex pan European cyber-attack spanning over 1,000 entities in the client group and 50+ countries around the globe.
- Advising a German credit institution that will be offering a wider suite of services to clients from a new branch established in Luxembourg on their local GDPR compliance.
- Advising the Walt Disney Company and 21st Century Fox Inc. on the launch of their Disney+ streaming service in Luxembourg and the Benelux on the regulatory, copyrights, data protection/privacy, telecommunications, banking and consumer law aspects.
- Advising the Luxembourg banking association on drafting/negotiating the appropriate contractual documentation (transfer of technology; assignment of copyrights; licensing agreements…) and on creating an ad hoc structure to shelter IP assets.
- Represented a US based company in a litigation before the Luxembourg administrative tribunal in relation to the use of the preferential tax regime on intellectual property assets.
- Advising Adobe on the framework applicable to e-signatures in Luxembourg, in the context of the launch of an exclusive new product.
- Advising Koweit Petroleum Belgium on the Luxembourg regulatory framework applicable to the provision of car batteries charging stations.
- Advising Almet Pets, a company specializing in cannabis products for animal use, on the regulatory framework applicable to the highly specific sector of cannabis products for pets in Luxembourg.
- Advising a number of automotive manufacturers on their regulatory and consumer law requirements in Luxembourg, including documentation for new innovative and upcoming car technologies, as well as new car product lines.
- Advising a Japanese bank on the termination of a software license and maintenance agreement with an IT provider.
- Luxembourg Bar School, University of Luxembourg, 2005
- University of Montpellier I, Postgraduate degree (DEA) in IP/TMT Law, 2004
- University of Montpellier I, Master’s Degree in Business Law, 2003
- Olivier was rated in Legal 500 (2020-2021) as “Next Generation Partner” and considered for being “calm and pragmatic” and for looking “into every detail of the matter”
- “Olivier Reisch has extensive experience and practical knowledge in his field. He brought a lot of feedback, especially regarding enforcement by data protection authorities (drafting policies and procedures to deal with enforcement actions). Olivier is also a fantastic human being, very approachable and dedicated to his clients: working with him is both professionally and individually rewarding.” Legal 500, 2020
- Olivier was rated in Chambers as “Up and Coming” considered for his “legal depth and market knowledge", 2019-20
- Corporate reorganizations in the US, Belgium and Luxembourg: What should you be considering? Getting the Deal Through (Lexology), April 2020
- Investigation powers of the Luxembourg data protection regulator: Clarity at last?, 6 March 2020
- Luxembourg - Global bribery offenses guide, 4 December 2019
- Building information modeling and the Internet of things in the commercial real estate market, 26 July 2019
- Corporate reorganizations in the US, Belgium and Luxembourg: What should you be considering?, 13 June 2019
- Luxembourg Data Protection Supervisory Authority confirms mandatory Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA), prompting companies to review their internal compliance, 13 March 2019
- Luxembourg now takes into account distributed ledger technology in its securities law framework, 22 February 2019
- Hard Brexit scenario: What happens to data transfers with the UK, 18 January 2019
- GDPR and smartphone Data Protection in the world of smart devices, Ace, Wolters Kluwer, September 2018
Olivier regularly chairs and organises conferences and seminars in Luxembourg and abroad.
- Panelist on GDPR at the 2018 ALFI Leading Edge Conference
- Moderator of a workshop in relation to the recruitment process in light of employment and privacy laws (2018)
- Keynote speaker/moderator at ABBL events dedicated to “Banking on Blockchain” and “Consent by the data subject – Guidelines for banks” (2017)
- Moderator of a GDPR workshop for the Luxembourg Private Equity Association (LPEA) (2017)
- Chairman of the 2016 Data Protection conference of IFE in Luxembourg
- 2018 to date: Partner, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2014-18: Counsel, Magic Circle Law Firm, Luxembourg
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association’s (ABBL) Digital Banking and Fintech Innovation Cluster
- Co-chair of the Luxembourg Investment Fund Association's (ALFI) GDPR working group
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB)
- Founding member of the Immaterial Law Committee of the Luxembourg Bar Association
- Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member of the Employment Law Specialists Association (ELSA)
- Member of UNIFAB's College of Experts
My latest insights
Transposition of the EU Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market into...
6 April 2022 .5 minute read