Paul Allen has over 20 years of international legal experience. He oversees a market-leading group of over 800 lawyers globally who are committed to supporting clients with their most important intellectual property, technology, data protection and commercial matters.
Paul focuses on providing clients with innovative legal solutions for complex, strategic and business-critical IT, outsourcing and digital transformation programs.
He has advised clients across a broad range of sectors, including aviation, telecoms, media, technology, financial services and government. He typically engages with clients at the outset of major procurement programs, helping clients to shape their overall legal strategy and achieve organizational objectives.
Passionate about digital evolution, Paul is also a leading member of DLA Piper’s Change Council, which is responsible for fostering radical change and innovation at the firm, building on recognition by the FT as one of the world’s top 10 law firms for innovation.
To further his commitment to providing clients with pragmatic and commercial legal advice, Paul completed his INSEAD Executive MBA (on the Dean’s List with Distinction). During his studies, he focused on the design and implementation of strategies and business models that use new and emerging technologies to provide a superior and sustainable competitive advantage.
Paul has most recently advised clients in relation to:
- a digital transformation program, including negotiation of the associated master agreement for the design, build and operation of a next generation operations platform on an outsourced basis
- a group-wide cloud transformation program including negotiation with the selected hyperscaler of a suite of agreements for the provision of cloud transformation and cloud provisioning services on a prime vendor basis and
- a competitive procurement for the design, build and operation of a payments platform, including supporting the procurement strategy, bidder evaluation and selection, senior-level stakeholder engagement, contract negotiation, and conclusion and ongoing contract management support.
Paul’s experience includes advising:
- A confidential client on the competitive procurement process for the outsourcing of the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of IT infrastructure (including cybersecurity); the infrastructure will play a critical function in the implementation of the client’s strategic plans
- A telecommunication sector client in relation to a major competitive procurement activity relating to a next generation business support system, as part of the client’s wider digital transformation program
- A national educational programme on its USD150+ million ICT program, including advising on agreements in relation to the procurement of educational digital content, managed communication services, learning management systems and educational consultancy, and including advising on and negotiation in respect of major agreements with related technology companies
- A telecoms operator on its strategic digital transformation program, involving the re-platforming of its current applications from an on-premise estate to a cloud-based estate
- A telecoms operator on the development of a comprehensive contracting framework and playbook for the procurement of major IT and telecoms-related products and services
- A confidential client on the renegotiation and novation of its strategic IT outsourcing from IBM to Kyndryl, as part of the spin-out of Kyndryl from IBM’s global business
- Several major GCC government entities on various complex IT-related outsourcings, fintech payment and technology programs
- Etihad on its USD700 million IT outsourcing and transformation program with IBM
- Emirates on its USD300 million mainframe outsourcing and transformation program with IBM
- Queensland University of Technology, BA (European Studies)
- Queensland University of Technology, LLB (Hons)
- INSEAD Executive MBA (on the Dean’s List with Distinction)
Awards and recognitions
- TMT Team of the Year, Chambers United Arab Emirates 2019-22
- TMT Team of the Year, Middle East Legal Awards 2021-22
- Band 1 lawyer and department, TMT, Chambers Global 10 years+
- Leading individual and Tier 1 department, TMT, The Legal 500 EMEA since 2016
- Band 1 lawyer, FinTech, Chambers United Arab Emirates since 2020
Publications and media
- How to be more purpose driven, Linkedin, 2022
- The key to attracting top tech talent, Linkedin, 2021
- Embracing Digital Evolution: Our new business report, 14 September 2021
- Middle East Tech Summit: Digital Evolution Accelerated, March 2021
My latest insights
DLA Piper expands Johannesburg offering with the appointment of Livia Dyer
19 September 2022 .2 minute read