Fabian Mühlen LL.M.Partner
Fabian Mühlen focuses on complex real estate transactions. He is equally familiar with share deal and asset deal structures. He advises international and national financial investors on sale-and-lease-back transactions, portfolio transactions and project developments as well as purchasers and banks in connection with acquisition finance.
Besides his real estate transactional experience, Fabian advises real property owners on all matters relating to asset and facility management, starting with the conclusion of lease agreements, the arrangement and negotiation of agreements with project managers, development and construction companies, legal advice during construction works and real estate related litigation.
Fabian is a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS).
- Advising Schroder Real Estate on the sale of the "Victoriastadt Lofts" at Berlin's Ostkreuz. The buyer of the property is the Austrian Signa Holding GmbH. The sale of the "Victoriastadt Lofts" was one of the largest real estate transactions in 2021 in Berlin. DLA Piper also provided legal advice to Schroder Real Estate on the purchase of the property.
- Advising Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG (Heidelberg) on the planned development of a modern HEI-TECH industrial park at its Wiesloch/Walldorf site.
- Advising Mileway, the leading pan-European last mile logistics real estate company, on the acquisition of two prime properties within close proximity to Stuttgart city centre.
- Advising DIC Asset AG, one of Germany’s leading listed property companies, on the acquisition of two office properties within the framework of an off-market deal. The acquisition includes the “Uptown Munich” high-rise and the fully occupied multi-tenant office property “Campus C”.
- Advising global investment firm The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) on its acquisition of a portfolio of 27 distribution logistics assets in France and Germany. The transaction is structured as a sale-and-leaseback.
- Advising Tilad, a Multi Family Office based in Dubai, on the sale of a portfolio with three logistics centres to a joint venture consisting of Apeiron and Green Oak.
- Advising the German-American real estate group Jamestown on the expansion of its European business by acquiring three historic office buildings in Cologne.
- Advising Aviva Investors on various acquisitions of office buildings throughout Germany.
- Advising US asset manager H.I.G. Capital on its acquisition of the BollAnts Spa im Park in Bad Sobernheim, in the federal state of Rhineland Palatinate, completed with Hamilton Hotel Investors.
- University of Cologne, First State Examination
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, LL.M.
- Higher Regional Court of Dusseldorf, Second State Examination
Universidad Externado de Colombia
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Leading name for real estate, frequently recommended for real estate/project development; “very strong in tricky negotiations”, client, “extremely good and goal-oriented cooperation”, competitor on entire team
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Next generation lawyer and recommended for real estate and construction, also recommended for private equity: transactions; “We consistently work with Fabian Mühlen because of his holistic approach, which goes far beyond "simple" legal work.”
- Chambers Europe Germany 2023: Recommended for real estate; "He is a true businessman, always on top of everything, and it is really easy to work with him", client.
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for real estate
- WirtschaftsWoche 2022: Recommended as "Top Lawyer" for real estate law
Fabian qualified in 2005. Before joining DLA Piper, he worked for a renowned Magic Circle Law Firm in Cologne until 2008. In 2011, he was seconded to the Real Estate Practice group of the Chicago office of DLA Piper US LLP for three months.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Ofi Invest Real Estate on the acquisition of an office building in...
21 July 2023 .1 minute read
DLA Piper advises RET10 on the acquisition of a nursing home in northern Bavaria for EUR27...
10 July 2023 .1 minute read