Collaborating on opportunities and risks in waste handling
Waste matters require a deep understanding of applicable legislation and regulatory requirements, stakeholder interactions, technologies and processes, and potential cross-border issues. Our sector experience, technical background and legal insights mean we can provide you with timely advice to evaluate and help execute waste-related matters, whatever their size, nature, or location.
Waste management and minimizing contamination are among priority topics worldwide. We provide strategic advice and legal services covering all aspects of waste and waste-related projects, transactions, agreements, compliance and disputes.
Our clients include developers, sponsors, lenders, contractors, owners, operators, technology providers, consortia, and governments. Our experience includes waste facility siting, environmental and stakeholder considerations and planning issues, operations, transportation, landfill management, fuel supply, recycling, residue offtake agreements, construction and operating agreements, technological development, and regulatory compliance.
“Our deep knowledge base and thorough approach provide you with the tools you need to better assess and manage your commercial operations and opportunities.”
With a zero waste movement gathering momentum, companies are increasing their efforts to reduce non-recyclable waste in the transition to a greener economy. Many jurisdictions are limiting imports of waste, requiring new waste management strategies at home. Demand for the recycling of materials is surging. Moves towards a circular economy include targets to limit energy consumption and waste in production processes. We are seeing concerted efforts to improve existing technology and to implement next-generation technology, such as methane capture and anaerobic digestion.
We understand the legal and regulatory landscape in this complex industry. Our deep knowledge base and thorough approach provide you with the tools you need to better assess and manage your commercial operations and opportunities. Our strategic analysis contributes to the collaboration required to advise on projects that include fully merchant facilities, and other projects underpinned by government contracts.
We also provide advice in environmental and health and safety areas including wastewater treatment, toxic waste and waste management.
- Advising Western Riverside Waste Authority on all aspects of the procurement of its waste transfer and treatment facilities in the UK, including the incorporation of the Belvedere EfW Plant within their Waste PPP Project.
- Advising UTS BioEnergy LLC on its portfolio financing of two waste-to-energy (reclaimed wastewater methane for use in fuel cells) projects in California.
- Advising Waste Management, one of the largest waste companies in the world, on necessary permits regarding the discharge of water and sludge in the US.
- Advising Glencore in its e-waste business, including on various cross-border regulations related to hazardous materials and plastics.
- Advising Investec on its investment in the Levenseat 12.5 MW waste to energy plant and adjacent materials recycling facility in Scotland. This deal represented the first time a UK plant has combined fluidised bed gasification technology with refuse derived fuel from a recycling facility.
- Advising AmeyCespa on the successful close of the GBP14 billion contract with North Yorkshire County Council to design, construct and operate the Allerton Waste Recovery Park near Knaresborough in the UK.
- Advising the EFET Legal Working Group and drafting an update to the EFET EECS Master Agreement in light of the revised regulatory regime introduced by the Renewable Energy Directive (EU) 2018/2001 expanding the application of guarantees of origin to biogas, as well as the increased usage of national support scheme certificates.
- Advising Nordea Bank Polska S.A. on the financing structure for waste management facilities using a PPP model, including an analysis of the cash flow mechanisms, the structure of security interests, and regulatory issues in Poland.
- Advising on the financing of the construction, operation and maintenance of the Pau (municipality in the Southwest of France) household waste incineration unit and its development into an energy recovery unit for household waste.
- Advising Aseagas on all aspects of the development, procurement and construction of a bio-gas refinery project in the Philippines.