DLA Piper's Greece Country Group comprises of Greek qualified (and Greek speaking) lawyers who advise on transactional, institutional and regulatory matters under Greek and EU law.
Our Greece Country Group advises clients on a broad spectrum of Greek and EU law transactional and regulatory matters. We offer legal support across practice areas advising on headline transactions, financing agreements, privitisations, restructurings and large projects.
Our clients include the Greek Government, international and EU institutions, public authorities, regional and multinational corporates, strategic alliances, joint ventures, funds, credit institutions and other lenders that are core to the Greek energy, banking infrastructure, shipping and hospitality sectors.
The practice serves as a gateway in two directions: inbound and outbound – to and from Greece and Cyprus. Our experience and reputation in the market provides us with access to key local contacts, officials, stakeholders and decision-makers, ensuring that we can advise on processes unknown to new market entrants. The Group works closely with DLA Piper offices in the US, UK and Europe to ensure a one stop shop offering to our clients in complex projects; we also represent Greek companies in the EU and the US through our international network.
- The Group has experience in the below areas:
- Banking and Finance
- Energy, Projects and Infrastructure
- EU competition and State aid
- EU (regulatory) law
- Infrastructure Finance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Public-Private Partnerships and Private Finance Initiatives
- Dispute resolution
- Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
The Group's international practice focusing on Greece has been ranked by, among others, Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR for the team's experience in corporate, finance, regulatory and competition law.
Partner Orestis Omran has led our Greece Country Group since 2017.
- Advised the Hellenic Republic on the landmark 'Greek lignite and electricity markets' antitrust case (AT.38700).
- Advising the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator on the EUR 2.1 billion sale of 49% of its shares to the Macquarie fund.
- Advised Finacity Corporation on the first in the Greek energy market securitization transaction of electricity bill performing receivables of the Public Power Corporation.
- Advised Deutsche Bank on the securitization of PPC EUR 2,2 billion non-performing receivables portfolio.
- Advising QQuant on the servicing and securitization of 1 billion NPL portfolio of Pancreta Bank.
- Advising Greek and international private equity, distressed assets, NPL and real estate funds on several transactions in the Greek market.
- Advising the Hellenic Republic, the Hellenic Post and the Hellenic Corporation of Assets and Participations on all state aid matters (cases SA.57538,S A.57982, S.A. 56616) related to the restructuring of the Hellenic Post .
- Advising the Hellenic Republic on a state aid compliant strategic reserve scheme to incentivize the replacement of existing lignite-based energy infrastructure while ensuring security of supply in the Greek electricity market.
- Advising all Greek systemic banks in structured finance, project finance and hedging finance transactions.
- Advising the Hellenic Asset Development Fund in the structuring of its Project Preparation Facility.
- Advised an international oil and gas producer in ad hoc international arbitration proceedings against the Hellenic Republic regarding oil and gas exploration and development rights in Northern Aegean, Greece.
- Advising major international investors on all aspects of the acquisition of RES projects in Greece.