Tom Laidler has extensive experience acting for financial institutions, intermediaries, high-net-worth individuals, investors and insolvency practitioners on complex cross-border disputes, with a particular focus on fraud, corporate disputes, and insolvency and restructuring situations.
The Legal 500 UK has recommended Tom in Commercial Litigation (Premium) and Banking Litigation (Investment and Retail) where he has been described by clients as “extremely bright, very hard-working and fun to work with”, and “an up and coming star”.
- Acting for Oceanwood Opportunities Master Fund, as the majority holder of EUR290 million senior secured notes issued by the Norske Skog group, in expedited proceedings before the English High Court for declaratory relief regarding a contested enforcement sale process.
- Acting for Deloitte, as administrators of African Minerals Limited, an AIM-listed company with debts of over USD1 billion whose principal asset was an iron ore mine in Sierra Leone, in connection with its scheme of arrangement and claims against the Shandong Iron & Steel Group with a value in excess of USD220 million.
- Acting for a major oil company in a USD380 million complex fraud claim brought in the English High Court against four high-net-worth individuals.
- Acting for the majority shareholder in the world’s second largest razorblade manufacturer in a complex boardroom dispute with a private equity investor. The dispute involved expedited high value claims in the English High Court, the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands, and India; and criminal proceedings in Dubai.
- Acting for Fairhold Securitisation Limited (the issuer of approximately GBP440 million secured notes) in expedited proceedings before the English High Court for declaratory and injunctive relief regarding the wrongful appointment of administrators and attempted pre-pack sale.
- Acting for Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc on its insolvency, particularly regarding its interests in its European subsidiary’s GBP7 billion administration surplus, including the Waterfall I and Waterfall II applications.
- Acting for KPMG, as the administrators of MF Global UK, a global commodities brokerage with debts in excess of USD5 billion, including with regard to the shortfall, client money, resolution and pensions applications, as well as various creditor claims.
- Acting for a hedge fund in its defence of an English High Court claim for breach of a derivative contract.
- Acting for an international energy company with oil and gas assets in Africa regarding a joint venture dispute.
- Acting for Grant Thornton, as the liquidators of Stanford International Bank, including with regard to proceedings against the Serious Fraud Office.
- BPP, Legal Practice Course, 2008
- Leeds University, LLB Hons (Law), 2006
- Legal 500,2021 recommended Tom in the fields of Commercial Litigation (Premium) and Banking Litigation as “extremely bright, very hard working and fun to work” with “a great work ethic”, “very capable”, and an “up and coming star”.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales
My latest insights
Issue 9: Energy and Natural Resources English Case Law Update – July to December 2022
19 April 2023 .2 minute read