Jonathon Ward practises in all areas of labour and employment law, including occupational health and safety, privacy, drafting policies and agreements, independent contractor vs. employee classifications, restrictive covenants, performance management, discipline, human rights claims, terminations, and all aspects of employment and labour-related litigation.
Jonathon has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta, as well as represented clients before administrative tribunals, arbitration hearings, mediation and settlement negotiations. He also assists clients with drafting policies and agreements, and compliance/regulatory matters, including matters concerning occupational health and safety, employment standards and privacy legislation.
Jonathon strives to be creative, strategic and above all pragmatic in assisting clients with their legal issues. His approach prioritizes saving his clients' time, money and employee bandwidth to reach a practical solution.
Jonathon earned his Bachelor of Arts from Queen’s University and his Juris Doctor from the University of Calgary. While in law school, Jonathon volunteered with Student Legal Assistance at the University of Calgary and continues to do so with Pro Bono Law Alberta and the Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project and the Lawyer Referral Program.
- Oleynik v University of Calgary, 2023 ABKB 43
- University of Calgary v Alberta (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2021 ABQB 795
- University of Calgary v Alberta (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2019 ABQB 950
- Alberta Medical Association v Alberta Health Services, 2019 ABQB 82.
- Cardinal Coach Lines ULC v General Teamsters, Local Union No. 362, 2017 CanLII 86406 (AB GAA); aff’d 2018 CanLII 683 (AB GAA); aff’d 2018 ABCA 294 (policy grievance relating to hours of work interpretation)
- Provided employment advice to Seequent Limited, an Accel-KKR portfolio company, in connection with Seequent’s acquisition of GEOSLOPE International Ltd., a Canadian-based company that creates integrated, geotechnical analysis software.
- J.D., University of Calgary, 2015
- B.A. (Honours), Queen's University, 2011
- The Legal 500 Canada (Employment), Rising Star, 2022-2023
- Thompson Reuters Stand-Out Lawyer (formerly Acritas Star™ Lawyer), 2020-2022
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, 2023 CPHR Alberta HR Law Conference, February 2023
- Author, "Preparing for mandatory data breach reporting and record-keeping," Republished in Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, April 2018
- Quoted, "Alberta launches ‘long overdue’ review of occupational health and safety code," The Lawyer's Daily, April 27, 2021
- Quoted, "Alberta labour and employment proposals do not alter fundamental rights of workers, lawyer says," The Lawyer's Daily, November 11, 2020
- Quoted, "New Alberta bill proposes significant overhaul of labour, employment rules," The Lawyer's Daily, July 15, 2020
- Quoted, "Social context informs application of precedent in arbitration cases, Alberta Appeal Court says", The Lawyers Daily, October 28, 2019
- Quoted, "Alberta proposing changes to youth employment rules", The Lawyers Daily, June 14, 2018
- Quoted, "Revamped Alberta labour rules may have big impact on small business", The Lawyers Daily, January 11, 2018
- Quoted, "Effect of changes to Alberta’s labour laws ‘should not be underestimated,’ expert says", The Lawyers Daily, December 18, 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Advocates Society
- Member, Canadian Association of University Solicitors