Dr Christian SchoopPartner
Dr Christian Schoop advises national and international companies on all issues of commercial criminal law and the monitoring of criminal investigations. This includes both the representation of companies having suffered damage and those cases where employees committed criminal offences to the alleged benefit of the company.
A further focus of his work is on advising companies with regard to internal investigations and on the development and implementation of compliance systems. Furthermore, Christian Schoop monitors the conduct of compliance due diligence, in particular in the context of M&A transactions.
In many cases, the advice also includes the involvement of international colleagues, e.g. from the U.S. or Great Britain.
In addition to advising on traditional business crimes, such as corruption and breach of trust, Christian Schoop specializes in representing clients in connection with environmental crimes and offenses related to cyber attacks.
- M-Dax Group: Advice (criminal, corporate and civil law) / defence in the preliminary proceedings on suspicion of tax fraud, breach of trust and bribery in 38 jurisdictions and conduct of a comprehensive internal investigation
- International food manufacturer: Advice (criminal, insurance, civil and public law) / defence due to preliminary proceedings in connection with a tank explosion and a poisonous cloud (suspicion of the grossly negligent causation of an explosion etc.) and conduct of an internal investigation
- International real estate funds: Internal investigation on suspicion of bribery in business transactions
- International pharmaceutical company: Internal investigation regarding (civil and criminal law) product liability and product recall
- International pharmaceutical company: Advice on search and seizure
- DAX40 company: Advice on the introduction of a tax compliance management system
- Advising a real estate fund on CEO fraud in the millions (including asset tracing and recovery in 7 jurisdictions)
- Bank: Advice on cybercrime attack and theft of customer data
- University of Bochum First State Examination, 2002
- Higher Regional Court of Düsseldorf Second State Examination, 2006
- University of Göttingen, Ph.D,, 2007
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Leading name for compliance investigations and frequently recommended for white-collar crime: advice to companies; “highly competent, understands how to manage complex defence cases with defendants from various companies”, client; “assertive, organised, reliable, competent”, Competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for compliance: internal investigations and white-collar crime: advice to companies; “Christian Schoop is very knowledgeable and has a great deal of practical experience in the field of compliance and criminal law as well as internal investigations” and “is a pleasant contact person who is always available in a solution-oriented manner.”; “Christian Schoop rightly has an excellent reputation in the field of white-collar criminal law” and he is “well-versed in the development of compliance management systems.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for criminal defense
- WirtschaftsWoche 2023: Recommended as “top lawyer” for compliance
Christian Schoop is the author of numerous articles in law journals and in the daily and business press (FAZ, Börsenzeitung and PLATO Recht) as well as the head of the publication series of Deutsche Strafverteidiger e.V.
He is a co-author of the 'Criminal Compliance' handbook (ed. Thomas Rotsch, Nomos Verlag 2014) and of the book 'Fiskalstrafrecht' with respect to the chapter on 'Durchsuchung und Beschlagnahme' (search and seizure), (ed. Markus Adick/Jens Bülte, C. F. Müller Verlag 2015). He is also a co-editor and a co-author of the book 'Das Unternehmensstrafrecht und seine Alternativen' (ed. Jahn/Schmitt-Leonardy/Schoop, Nomos Verlag 2016).
Christian Schoop is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars regarding white collar crime and compliance issues.
He is the host of technical seminars, one of them is StPO-Nordseetreffen.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Board member of the German Defence Counsel Association
- White Collar Crime Organisation
My latest insights
Episode 3: The impact of Environmental, Social and Governance factors on corporates
4 July 2022 .2 minute read
Germany: five key aspects multinationals should know about the Anti-Bribery and...
29 June 2022 .7 minute read