Oil and Gas
Guiding businesses in a complex and changing energy landscape
We draw on many years’ experience in advising national oil companies, energy majors, and other stakeholders in both conventional operations and the road ahead.
We act for global corporations, governments, state-owned companies, sponsors, private equity funds, independents, mid-market entities, and lenders. Our sector-specific insight and local coverage are available worldwide and cross-border.
Our legal services include strategic advice on planning, development, financing and permitting, and in legislative, political and regulatory matters. In commodities, we represent clients who trade, finance and transport crude oil and refined oil products, natural gas and natural gas liquids, and LNG.
In the oil sector, our upstream experience includes licensing and concessions, exploration and extraction, farm-ins/farm-outs, and joint ventures. We work on deals involving: acquisition; disposal and decommissioning of interests and assets; due diligence; investigations; financing, cash-calls, security structures over oil assets, and trading and shipping. Our work also includes offtake of production and sale of products, lifting and transportation, storage, and through-putting.
“Our sector-specific insight and local coverage are available worldwide and cross-border.”
In gas, we advise on the construction, financing and operation of pipelines, tank farms and refineries, in sales and handling, CNG, and the import and export of LNG. We are particularly aware of natural gas as a key transition fuel in decarbonizing the sector and its role in achieving energy security. We advise worldwide across the LNG supply chain, including upstream exploration, production, liquefaction, tenders, sales and shipping, regasification terminals, downstream sales and transport.
As energy companies continue to change their portfolios and develop new business models, we are uniquely placed to support their energy transition requirements. Our experience onshore and offshore means we can advise on diverse matters including climate change, ESG, renewable energy generation, and all other related topics such as employment, health and safety, international arbitration, and dispute resolution.
Awards and recognition
- Highly recommended – Oil & Gas (Legal 500 UK)
- "A very experienced and large international firm, so they bring depth on matters for us and are able to draw on expertise from other offices to support us if we need advice at short notice." Chambers, Global: Multi-Jurisdictional, Projects and Energy
- "Their key strength is teamwork and seamless coordination of the various work streams. The advice is always solution-focused and commercially astute… always makes you feel like the most important client and the team are always responsive." Chambers, Global: Multi-Jurisdictional, Projects and Energy
- "Overall strength is the breadth of [the] service offering, in combination with having offices in every relevant jurisdiction." Chambers, Global: Multi-Jurisdictional, Projects and Energy
- Advising National Grid Grain on regulatory and contractual matters related to Grain LNG, the largest UK LNG Terminal, including procurement of re-loading facilities and independent power projects for its black start capacity and efficient use of terminal boil-off.
- Advising the European industry association for gas suppliers and distributors in drafting legislative proposals for consideration by the European Commission seeking to mirror the new electricity market design paradigm in the EU’s gas liberalisation regulations.
- Advising MedcoEnergi in its acquisition of ConocoPhillips Indonesia Holding Ltd. from Phillips International Investments Inc., including operatorship of the Corridor PSC with a 54% working interest and a 35% interest in the Transasia Pipeline Company Pvt. Ltd, assets which in majority supply gas under long-term contracts to Indonesian and Singaporean buyers. The acquisition supports MedcoEnergi's Climate Change Strategy, and includes carbon capture opportunities.
- Advising ALSF and the Governments of South Sudan, Somalia and Gambia on the review of their petroleum licensing round tender package and on the production sharing agreements and joint operating agreements.
- Advising the sponsors of various new build international pipeline projects, including the GasTrans Pipeline, the Greece-Bulgaria Interconnector, the Poseidon (ITGI) pipeline project, the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) project, the Nabucco pipeline project and the Trans-Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP) project.
- Advising a central European oil and gas company on the development and negotiation of its LNG MSPAs and several long-term SPAs as well as use of its capacity at the GATE Terminal and other European terminals.
- Advising a major internal commodity trader for crude oil in tank REPO for several storage facilities in the Middle East.
- The government of Azerbaijan on the evaluations of tenders for various oil fields, drafting and negotiation of several production sharing agreements.
- An energy major on the development, negotiation and implementation of a USD300 million LPG terminal on the Black Sea Coast.
- Advising Whitmore Asset Management, a BVI company, in a dispute against its joint venture partner, Ansbury Investments, in respect of the ultimate ownership and control of a Nigerian listed energy company, Oando PLC.
- Advising BASF/SINOPEC in relation to integrated petrochemical and power projects in China.