Interests protected. Risks minimized. Profits maximized.
Investing in today’s evolving real estate capital markets requires sound decision-making. The breadth and depth of our market insight and experience mean that many of the world’s leading real estate investors rely on us to protect their interests. We provide practical, innovative advice to ensure you capitalize on real estate opportunities and minimize risk.
Our multidisciplinary team has significant experience in public and private capital markets offerings, corporate finance, securities regulation, real estate, real estate finance, joint ventures, Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), Up-C Corporation (Up-C) structuring, taxation, and employee benefits and ERISA.
Our clients also benefit from the collective experience of over 500 lawyers worldwide in our leading commercial Real Estate group. Whatever real estate structure or issue you may encounter, it’s likely that we’ve seen it before and know the solution.
“We rely on them for the most cutting-edge thinking.”
We help public and private REITs and real estate companies, real estate fund sponsors, investment advisors and asset managers, pension funds and endowments, sovereign wealth funds and developers.
We’re regarded as a preeminent law firm in the REIT and real estate securities industry. We advise publicly traded and private REITs, and real estate operating and finance companies, at all lifecycle stages. Additionally, we’ve handled some of the most sophisticated and complex REIT-related transactions, including REIT going private M&As, partnership roll-up IPOs, public and private equity and debt financings, and other REIT M&A transactions.
In the US, we’re one of the few firms with a broad practice in the formation of publicly-listed “non-traded” REITs, with significant experience helping clients with the rigorous securities registration process at federal and state levels. We act as primary securities and tax counsel for some of the nation’s largest exchange-traded and non-traded REITs. And we represent underwriters in connection with exchange-traded REIT debt and equity offerings.
We’re highly experienced in the structuring and formation of real estate private equity funds, separately managed accounts and programmatic joint ventures, and represent fund sponsors throughout the world in connection with all investment strategies.
The breadth of our experience means clients also turn to us for help with all aspects of real estate joint ventures.
We combine depth of experience, a sharp focus on the relevant issues, and innovative thinking to ensure your investment strategy gets results.
Awards and recognition
- Harrison Street Real Estate Capital, one of the leading investment management firms exclusively focused on alternative real assets, on closing approximately 150 transactions annually, including on the recent integrated series of transactions through which Harrison Street agreed to purchase 24 senior housing assets and sell 14 medical office properties across eight states over numerous months for a total transaction value of approximately USD1.6 billion.
- Harrison Street Real Estate Capital as counsel on every closed-end fund it has formed since inception in 2005, and on its open-end funds and co-investment vehicles, including the formation and ongoing operation of a social infrastructure fund, a USD1.3 billion closed-end fund in the US, a EUR700 million closed-end fund in Europe, and a USD2 billion closed-end fund focusing on education, healthcare, life sciences, data centers and storage real estate assets in the US and Canada.
- Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc., a public non-traded REIT sponsored by private equity giant, The Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX), on a best efforts continuous offering of up to USD60 billion in shares of common stock, as co-securities-counsel for the issuer
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT III in connection with its internalization with American Healthcare Investors and concurrent merger into Griffin-American Healthcare REIT IV in a tax-free, stock-for-stock transaction that created a combined company with a gross investment value of approximately USD4.2 billion in healthcare real estate assets
- Resource REIT, a public non-traded residential REIT on its merger with Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust (BREIT), in which BREIT acquired all of Resource REIT’s outstanding common stock in an all-cash transaction valued at USD3.7 billion, including the assumption of debt
- AXA Investment Managers – Real Assets, a global leader in real assets investments, on its acquisition of all of the outstanding common stock of NorthStar Realty Europe Corp. (NYSE: NRE), an NYSE-listed REIT that owned commercial real estate properties in Germany, the UK and France, in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately USD1.1 billion
- Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR), an NYSE-listed residential REIT, on its USD500 million public green bond offering of 1.85% notes due 2031 and its at-the-market public offering of up to 13 million common shares
- Highwoods Properties, Inc. (NYSE: HIW), an NYSE-listed office REIT, on its USD400 million public offering of 2.60% notes due 2031 and its at-the-market public offering of up to USD300 million of shares of common stock
- STAG Industrial (NYSE: STAG), an NYSE-listed industrial REIT, on its USD390 million public offering of common stock (including shares sold on a primary and forward basis) and its at-the-market public offering of up to USD750 million of shares of common stock
- W.P. Carey (NYSE: WPC), one of the largest diversified net lease REITs, on its USD450 million public offering of common stock and its at-the-market public offering of up to USD1 billion of shares of common stock
- STORE Capital (NYSE: STOR), an NYSE-listed net-lease retail REIT, on its USD375 million public offering of 2.700% senior notes due 2031 and its at-the-market public offering of up to USD900 million of shares of common stock
- BTIG, LLC, as the lead initial purchaser in the USD300 million private offering of 5.50% senior notes due 2026 by Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. (NYSE: IIPR), an NYSE-listed industrial REIT focused on the regulated cannabis industry
- LaSalle Hotel Properties (NYSE: LHO), an NYSE-listed lodging REIT, as co-counsel in its merger with Pebblebrook Hotel Trust (NYSE: PEB), in a cash/stock transaction valued at USD5.2 billion that created one of the largest exchange-traded lodging REITs
News and insights
IRS rules subsurface carbon dioxide storage payments are qualifying REIT income
14 September 2023 .4 minute read