Paul Hopman has over 20 years’ experience of helping clients with a wide variety of financial regulatory and litigation related matters, focusing on dispute resolution between financial institutions and their retail and wholesale customers.
He advises banks, insurance companies, investment firms, investment funds, and other financial institutions on the impact of financial services regulation in the Netherlands, Europe and internationally. He also provides guidance on securities transactions, financial instruments, capital requirements, payments, settlements, market structure, governance and surveillance KYC/AML and supervision of markets, including market access.
Paul has in-depth knowledge of the financial markets due to his direct involvement in significant (investigation) compliance-related projects and many high-profile financial litigation matters, disinvestments and restructurings, including several very large portfolio sales in the financial sector. He also helps a broad range of new financial (service) providers entering the Dutch and European markets, including those applying for licenses in the Netherlands due to Brexit.
Paul regularly speaks at financial sector events, provides client training, and has been a guest lecturer at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- Advising a number of multi-jurisdictional operating insurers by setting out the regulatory and legal framework across 36 jurisdictions and advising these insurance and licence requirements and how to deal with the different regulators in various countries
- Assisting a number of payment services providers in qualifying their offering from a regulatory perspective and helping them decide their jurisdictions of choice as well as obtaining the required licenses and passporting these across the European Union
- Advising GE Artesia on a wide variety of matters such as separation of responsibilities, set up of an online derivatives, investment recommendation, different investment related documentation as well as the run-off of its treasury services, including its FX desk
- Advising on and litigating on behalf of ING Bank, Rabobank, Propertize and Deutsche Bank with respect to the mis-selling of derivatives in the Netherlands
- Representing ING Bank, Staalbankiers, Rabobank, Propertize and various other asset managers in relation to a large number of investment related litigation matters before Regular Courts, Courts of Appeal and the Dutch Supreme Court
- Advising a wide variety of financial institutions on entering into asset management agreements as well as custodian arrangements
- Advising GE Artesia, Staalbankiers, ING Bank and various other asset management advisors on investment policies for charitable institutions, semi non-profit institutions, etc.
- Radboud University Nijmegen, Corporate Law, 2001
- University of Amsterdam, Dutch Law, 1996
- University of Manchester, Commercial, Company, Contract and Tort Law, 1995
Awards and recognition
- Recommended lawyer, Banking and Finance: Financial Services Regulatory; Dispute Resolution: Commercial Litigation, Netherlands, The Legal 500 EMEA 2022
Publications and media
- COP26 in conversation (recap), November 2021
- COP discussion, November 2021
- Paul Hopman: Let's Talk Business, New Business Radio, 27 September 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Association for Securities Law