Sam has over 20 years experience in commercial litigation and complex investigations. His recent experience in investigations includes: health and safety, bribery, fraud, accounting irregularities, money laundering, market abuse, insider trading, market manipulation and cybercrime.
Sam is a partner in DLA Piper's Litigation & Regulatory team, Co-Head of the Firm's Investigations practice and the Firm's MLRO.
- Advising Amey Rail on the Public Inquiry into the Paddington Train crash.
- Advising a property company on criminal proceedings arising out of a fatal accident and related disciplinary proceedings.
- Advising the Liquidator of Barings Futures (Singapore) on the litigation re the collapse of Barings Bank.
- Advising the founder of an asset management business on a GBP2 billion Arbitration claim.
- Advising the Federation Internationale de l' Automobile on injunction proceedings in the Commercial Court.
- Advising a US retailer on an internal investigation relating to allegations of misconduct and mismanagement by a senior individual.
- Advising a US retailer on five investigations relating to alleged accounting irregularities in its UK business.
- Advising the trading/sales teams of two US investment banks and one UK retail bank on the global Foreign Exchange investigation.
- Advising a Formula 1 team on an internal investigation.
- Advising a UK CNI energy company on two cyber investigations.
- University of Cambridge (Robinson College), Law M.A.
- University of Illinois, International and Comparative Law LLM, Fulbright Travel Scholar
- Sam is an Acritas rated “star lawyer”
Sam has significant in-house experience including client secondments to Goldman Sachs International and IBM UK. From 2008-2011, he was General Counsel for Liquid Capital Group, a global listed derivatives trading firm with trading operations in the US, Europe and Asia. Sam was responsible for all legal, compliance and regulatory issues.
In legal practice since 1996, Sam has led large commercial cases (English High Court/Court of Appeal) and large complex investigations for clients in a wide variety of sectors, including: manufacturing, property and construction, banking and financial services, retail, gambling, energy, transport and sports. He now sits on Lexis Nexis' Financial PSL editorial board.
My latest insights
Driving Internal Engagement and Horizon Scanning - CIRCLE workshop and networking lunch
29 November 2023 .3 minute read
Financial Crime and Managing Third Party Risk - CIRCLE workshop and networking lunch
21 September 2023 .3 minute read