Michael OrbanSenior Associate
Michael has a broad range of international corporate and commercial experience, with a focus on advising on mergers & acquisitions, foreign investment regulation, joint ventures and negotiation of strategic commercial arrangements.
Michael has experience acting on a range of cross border private M&A transactions, joint ventures with an emphasis on foreign investment in the resources sector and a variety of strategic commercial arrangements across a number of industries. Michael has particular interest in the consumer goods, food and retail, energy and natural resources and technology sectors.
Michael has honed a commercially-minded solution focussed approach through extensive in-house legal experience, including at the Tokyo headquarters of Japanese trading house Mitsui & Co., Ltd.; NBN Co (a Government Business Enterprise established to build and operate Australia’s broadband network); Kellogg Australia (FMCG) and most recently as legal counsel at ASX-listed Coca-Cola Amatil Limited.
- Advising Coca-Cola Amatil on its strategic acquisition of independent craft beer brewer, Feral Brewing Company (Australia’s 5th largest independent craft brewer).*
- Advising Japanese resource company on the acquisition and disposal of its earn-in joint venture interest in ASX-listed gold producer’s Western Australian gold project.*
- Advising global reinsurance provider on the disposal of its Australian commercial insurance business.*
- Advising Japanese trading houses on a range of strategic Australian business acquisitions.*
- Advising consortium on corporate aspects of restructure and assumption of control from private equity firm of leading regional industrial goods distributor.*
- Assisting with advising ASX-listed PMP Limited (now Ovato) on its merger with print/digital services provider IPMG Group.*
- Advising Japanese trading houses on a range of resources joint ventures, including Sumitomo Metal Mining / Sumitomo Corporation on their joint venture rights and associated sale process for Rio Tinto's majority stake in the Northparkes Mines.*
- Advising Coca-Cola Amatil on the negotiation of strategic long term distribution agreements in its non-alcoholic drinks portfolio.*
- Advising leading regional FMCG company on a strategic long-term toll manufacturing agreement.*
- Advising on a wide range of commercial arrangements and strategic issues as in-house legal counsel: Mitsui & Co., Ltd. (Tokyo); NBN Co; Kellogg Australia; Coca-Cola Amatil Limited.*
(* - Experience gained while at a previous firm)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
University of Sydney, Bachelor of Laws (Hons), 2008
Wesleyan University, Bachelor of Arts (East Asian Studies, Chinese language and literature)
Winner, Member of FMCG Team of the Year - Coca-Cola Amatil Limited, Lawyers' Weekly Corporate Counsel Awards (2019)
Michael has honed a commercially-minded and solution focussed approach through extensive in-house legal experience at:
- Coca-Cola Amatil Limited - Legal Counsel
- NBN Co - Strategy and Technology Legal Team
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. - EMEA Legal Team (Tokyo, Japan)
- Kellogg (Aust.) Pty Ltd - Legal Team
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of New South Wales
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Realbase on its acquisition by Domain Group for consideration of up to...
3 April 2022 .4 minute read