The Hong Kong Copyright (Amendment) Ordinance 2022 – the transition to Web 3.0
27 July 2023, 17:00 – 18:30 HKT
DLA Piper Hong Kong
25th Floor, Exchange Square Block 3
8 Connaught Place, Central
In line with the objective to develop Hong Kong into a regional IP hub, amendments were recently introduced to the Hong Kong Copyright Ordinance to modernize copyright protection in the digital environment. The amendments were long overdue and were generally positively welcomed by different stakeholders.
We invite you to join us for an in-person seminar where our DLA Piper IP team will explore and share insights on the immediate impact of these amendments on rights holders, online service providers (OSPs) and other digital economy participants. What are the key issues you should be aware of when handling Hong Kong copyright issues in the digital environment? Crucially, what areas do the amendments not address and how do rights holders enforce their rights given these omissions?
During the event, we will cover:
- The key amendments to the Copyright Ordinance, including:
- The new technology-neutral exclusive communication right for copyright owners
- Criminal sanctions against infringement of the new technology-neutral exclusive communication right
- New safe harbour provisions for OSPs
- Practical guidance under the Code of Practice for OSPs
- Implications of the notice-and-takedown regime on copyright liability
- Insights from a legal practitioner's perspective on the amendments and what are likely to be the areas of further reform.
This seminar will be hosted by Edward Chatterton, Partner, Co-Head of Intellectual Property and Technology Practice, Asia and Wilson Lung, Senior Associate, IPT Asia.
Seminar will be followed by networking cocktails and canapes.
Hong Kong qualified lawyers are eligible to receive 1 CPD point for this seminar, subject to approval from the Law Society of Hong Kong.
For more information, please contact Olaide Ogungbesan.