Scott R. WilsonPartner
Scott Wilson advises clients in government and internal investigations, white collar criminal matters, and complex litigation, often with an international component.
Companies, boards and senior executives rely on Scott to handle sensitive and multi-dimensional matters involving the government, the courts and the media. He has represented some of the most successful multinational companies in the world as lead counsel in a wide range of white collar and regulatory investigations, before DOJ, SEC, CFTC, OFAC and State Attorneys General. He regularly advises clients in matters involving bribery and corruption, fraud, and extortion.
In addition to his government-facing practice, Scott represents clients in complex business disputes in federal and state courts and domestic and international arbitration. He has significant experience representing global financial institutions in matters involving credit derivatives and structured financial products.
Scott previously served as Senior Advisor and Special Counsel to the New York Attorney General (NYAG). As a member of the NYAG's executive staff, Scott helped oversee a wide range of civil and criminal investigations, negotiated high-profile settlements and served as a liaison to other state and federal agencies in connection with the Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities (RMBS) Working Group co-chaired by the NYAG. In the courtroom, Scott served as trial counsel and argued appeals in enforcement proceedings brought under New York's anti-fraud, consumer protection and not-for-profit corporate governance laws.
In 2021, Scott was one of five attorneys nationwide selected by Law360 for its annual list of Compliance Rising Stars. In 2019, Scott was named to the Euromoney Legal Media Group shortlist for its Americas Rising Star Awards for "best in white collar crime."
Scott co-chairs DLA Piper’s State Attorneys General practice and is a co-head of the firm's global Private Fund Disputes practice.
Investigations and Compliance Highlights
- A Fortune 100 consumer goods company in a multi-year DOJ investigation relating to foreign commercial bribery and related internal investigation in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, South America, and the US
- A global asset manager in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation by SEC and DOJ and related internal investigation in the UK, Ireland and US
- NIKE, Inc. in connection with a DOJ investigation into corruption in NCAA basketball
- A Bay Area technology and life sciences company in an investigation by the NYAG relating to customer data privacy
- An offshore bank in an investigation by OFAC concerning compliance with the Venezuela-related sanctions program, which concluded with the issuance of a Cautionary Letter
- A Fortune 100 food company in connection with a CFTC investigation relating to position limits on trading in agricultural commodities and cash position reporting
- A merchant cash advance company in connection with an NYAG investigation into alleged unfair and deceptive business practices and compliance with criminal usury laws
- The Mayor of Mount Vernon, New York, in a public corruption prosecution in Westchester County and related civil litigation regarding the scope of the NYAG's criminal jurisdiction
- A global financial institution in a CFTC investigation relating to ISDAFIX and trading in interest rate swaptions
- A US financial institution in an investigation by the NYAG relating to reverse mortgage servicing
- A Fortune 100 consumer goods company in connection with an NYAG antitrust investigation relating to geographic restrictions in real estate leases
- An Academy Award-nominated actress in connection with an extortion scheme
- A Fortune 100 company in connection with an investigation by the Ethics Board of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) into financial corruption at a national sports federation in Africa
- The CEO of an asset manager in a Professional Conduct Program investigation by the CFA Institute
- A Fortune 100 company in connection with an internal investigation of whistleblower allegations concerning a C-level executive
Litigation and Arbitration Highlights
- Pacific Investment Management Company (PIMCO) and Allianz Asset Management of America in employment litigation filed by former PIMCO CIO William H. Gross in California state court
- The Cayman Islands issuer of a trust preferred collateralized debt obligation (CDO) in litigation concerning replacement of a collateral manager, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- An alternative asset management firm and three Cayman Islands affiliates in litigation over the acquisition of a collateralized loan obligation (CLO) manager, in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court
- A large publicly-traded Brazilian consumer goods company in ICC arbitration in São Paulo relating to a share purchase agreement governed by Brazilian law
- J.D., Columbia University
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Master, Global Business Law, Institut d'Études Politique de Paris (Sciences Po) / Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
- A.B., Social Studies, Harvard College
magna cum laude
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, State Attorneys General (2023)
- Recommended, Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2021)
- Scott was one of five attorneys nationwide selected by Law360 for its annual list of Compliance Rising Stars (2021)
- Scott was named to the Euromoney Legal Media Group shortlist for its Americas Rising Star Awards for "best in white collar crime" (2019)
- Co-author, "New York Department of Financial Services calls on financial institutions to consider climate change risk," Thomson Reuters, November 13, 2020 (with Jeffrey L. Hare, Jesse Medlong and Dante Alessandri)
- Co-author, "SFO Cooperation Guidance Merits Cautious Welcome: Part 2," Law360, October 16, 2019 (with Matt Getz)
- Co-author, "SFO Cooperation Guidance Merits Cautious Welcome: Part 1," Law360, October 15, 2019 (with Matt Getz)
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: Lessons on Privilege from Landmark English Ruling," Bloomberg Law, Sept. 25, 2018 (with Matt Getz and Prateek Swaika)
- "Trump Seeks Answers on Fate of Family’s New York Real Estate," Wall Street Journal, September 27, 2023
- "Trump Probe Places Manhattan D.A. Alvin Bragg in Spotlight," Wall Street Journal, March 27, 2023
- "Bust From the Met Museum, Said to Be Looted, Is Returned to Libya," New York Times, March 30, 2022
- "Quirky N.Y. Law Prevented AG James From Charging Cuomo," Bloomberg Law, August 4, 2021
- "Trump Organization Charges: A Probe of Hush Money Moved to Fringe Benefits," Wall Street Journal, July 2, 2021
- "Big Law Builds Up State AG Expertise Amid Enforcement Boost," Bloomberg Law, May 12, 2021
- "DLA Piper Launches State AG Practice Led By Ex-Gov't Attys," Law360, May 11, 2021
- "The Trials of Michael Avenatti," CNBC, American Greed, ep. 187, air date January 18, 2021
- "New York Trump Investigations Appear to Be at Critical Junctures," Wall Street Journal, August 31, 2020
- "Move watch: Spotlight on Scott Wilson, DLA Piper," Fivehundred Magazine by The Legal 500, March 2020
- "Michael Avenatti convicted on all counts, tried to extort over $20 million from Nike, jury says," New York Daily News, February 14, 2020
- "Avenatti trial on slow track as first witness testifies," AP, January 31, 2020
- "Avenatti didn’t care about ruining teens’ lives in Nike case, lawyer says," New York Post, January 30, 2020
- "Nike lawyer recalls alleged blackmail by Michael Avenatti as trial starts," New York Post, January 29, 2020
- "White-Collar Litigator at Boies Schiller Moves to DLA Piper," New York Law Journal, December 2, 2019
- "Ex-Boies Schiller Atty Joins DLA Piper's New York Office," Law360, December 2, 2019
- "Avenatti vs. Nike: The Showdown That Ensnared a Celebrity Lawyer," Wall Street Journal, March 31, 2019
- "New Trump Foundation Probe Might Complicate New York Civil Lawsuit," Bloomberg News, July 19, 2018
- "Tax Probe of Trump Foundation Faces High Bar for Criminal Charges, Experts Say," Wall Street Journal, July 19, 2018
- "What's Next for Blue State AGs as SCOTUS Gains New Conservative?" New York Law Journal, July 11, 2018
- "The Morning Risk Report: New Panama Papers Provide 'Cornucopia' to Prosecutors," Wall Street Journal, July 26, 2016
Scott served as Senior Advisor and Special Counsel to the New York Attorney General from 2011 to 2013. Following his government service, Scott was appointed by the Illinois Department of Insurance as an outside compliance examiner for insurance companies and reinsurers, in connection with multi-state supervisory colleges.
Memberships And Affiliations
Scott serves on the Legal Programs & Events Committee of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce. He previously served as the Secretary of the Council on Criminal Justice and as a member of the Art Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association.