Chair, Space Exploration and Innovation practice
Christian is a former federal prosecutor with the Department of Justice's Counterintelligence and Export Control Section, where he was responsible for cross-border investigations involving civil and criminal money laundering violations, U.S. economic sanctions and export control laws, cyber-based crimes, economic espionage and theft of trade secrets. Several of his investigations involved extensive interaction with the Department of Justice’s Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section, as well as U.S. and foreign financial regulatory agencies and bureaus.
Christian most recently held the position of Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Department of Justice's Office of Legal Policy, where he supervised several priority portfolios, including national security, law enforcement, terrorism and violent crime prevention.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- M.A., Political Science, University of California at Berkeley
- M.A., International Relations, Yale University
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2022-2023)
- Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service
- FBI Director's Award for Outstanding Counterintelligence Investigation
- National Intelligence Medallion
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) Law Enforcement Award
- National Security Division's Assistant Attorney General Award for Excellence (2016, 2017, 2019)
- Author, "Takeaways From Iran Missile Procurement Advisory," Law360, November 6, 2023
- Author, "Spies among us: State-sponsored actors want to steal your sensitive information and company culture is your best defense," Culturati: Magazine, December 19, 2022
- Speaker, "Industrials - Latest sanctions and export controls on Russia and China," 4 May 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions and Export Controls on Russia: An International Perspective on What Canadian Companies Need to Know and How to Prepare," 7 April 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions and export controls targeting Russia: An international perspective on key issues and risk mitigation for the commodities sector," 30 March 2022
- Speaker, "New Sanctions and Export Controls on Russia and China: What You Need to Know Now to Be Prepared for "Cold War 2.0"," AGMA, 16 March 2022
- Speaker, "Sanctions Enforcement at Sea," Stockton Center for International Law, U.S. Naval War College, 19 January 2022
My latest insights
Four US federal departments issue an advisory to alert persons and businesses globally to...
24 October 2023 .7 minute read