Gábor Borbély LL.M.Partner
Gábor Borbély as Head of Finance has advised on a variety of domestic and international cross border financing transactions including asset and acquisition financing, syndicated loans, projects and export financing transactions. He has wide experience in restructurings and consensual exit transactions as well as insolvency proceedings.
Gabor Borbely as real estate sector head leads the newly formed and stand-alone real estate practice group in Budapest. With more than 20 years of experience Gabor Borbely has always been very active to develop the real estate sector and business and well known among real estate professionals, investors and developers in Hungary (including the real estate financing sector and their clientele) and beyond. He has been advising clients on major leases, real estate joint ventures as well as high end restructuring transactions in the real estate sector.
- Advising various members of UniCredit Group and ERSTE Group in relation to the cross-border real estate development and investment financing of ETELE Plaza Budapest sponsored by Futureal. The largest retail development financing in Hungary over the last 10 years.
- Advising Hungarian Development Bank in relation to various international funding arrangements at both the loan and the debt capital markets (including a Eurobond issue).
- Advising HB Reavis in relation to the development financing of the major ‘Project Agora’ office campus development in Budapest (including the new HQ of Raiffeisen Hungary and BP) by ERSTE and Raiffeisen.
- Advising Deutsche Pfandbriefbank in relation to the financing and refinancing of various commercial real estates and real estate portfolios in Hungary.
- Eötvös Loránd University, Faculty of Law, JD, Budapest, Hungary, 1997-2002, summa cum laude
- Central European University (CEU), Faculty of Law, International Business Law, LLM (with merit), Budapest, Hungary, 2002-03
- Gábor Borbély is among the leading lawyers in Hungary for cross-border financing matters, including export finance, Schuldschein loans and real estate finance. He is also highly regarded by borrowers for advice on acquisition finance and amendments to revolving credit facilities agreements. One client praises his "outstanding legal knowledge and experience," while another appreciates that "when there is a problem, he is very present and supportive”. - Chambers Europe, 2022
- His clients point out that "he is very quick and he understands things very well." Borbély is adept at high-value development and export finance mandates, as well as real estate acquisition financing. He is also well versed in the sale of distressed loans and loan refinancing. - Chambers Europe, 2021
- "Extremely knowledgeable and experienced." - Chambers Europe, 2021
- Clients praise Gábor Borbély for having “a good understanding of business transactions and for listening to the needs of the client.” Other interviewees endorse his flexibility: “He is really open to finding acceptable compromises and he understands the real considerations for his clients.” Borbély excels in syndicated financing, project financing and refinancing matters, especially in the real estate sector. - Chambers Global, 2020
- “Very experienced negotiator with excellent commercial sense. He always finds a solution and pro-actively pushes deals forwards towards successful closings”. - Legal500, 2020
- "He is a great strategist." - Chambers Europe, 2019
- Host of DLA Piper “Zöld ingatlanok” podcast series, 2021-22
Gábor spent a meaningful period of time as secondee at a leading Hungarian commercial bank and at another international law firm in London.
Rankings and Awards
- Legal 500, 2017-2023, Banking and Finance, Individual Rankings: Leading Individuals
- Chambers Global, 2017-2023, Banking and Finance, (Individual): Band 1
- Chambers Europe, 2018 - 2023, Banking and Finance, Individual Rankings: Band 1
- IFLR1000, 2017-21, Banking and Finance, Individual Rankings: Tier 1
- IFLR1000, 2021, Banking and Finance, Individual Rankings: Highly Regarded
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Budapest Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper doradcą Grupy Wirtualna Polska przy zawarciu umowy nabycia międzynarodowej Grupy...
12 September 2022 .3 minute read
DLA Piper advises Wirtualna Polska on a deal to acquire international Szallas Group
12 September 2022 .3 minute read