A business-minded full-service approach to consumer goods law
Our sector experience and full-service approach set us apart from other law firms. We can advise and support you at all points in the supply chain, wherever you work in the world: from inception and design through sustainability and e-commerce to corrective action, dispute resolution, and enforcement.
We advise on the full range of commercial and legal matters in all areas of consumer goods, across supply chains. We understand your business and apply deep sector experience and legal insights to the unique challenges you face.
Leading businesses in food and beverages, grocery, health, beauty and personal care, household care, retail, and fashion seek our advice. We’ve acted for theme parks, toys and games companies, and specialized businesses such as outdoor leisure equipment. We co-lead the Smart Technology Group, which has included corrective actions such as product recalls. We also advise investors, funders, and other industry stakeholders.
This means working on deals in diverse areas, including e-commerce, product and supply chain integrity, sustainability, and health and wellness. We advise on new ventures and acquisitions, intellectual property (IP) issues, consumer rights, waste and accountability, crisis management, regulatory and compliance matters. And with a world-leading technology practice, we advise on new tech and digitization, especially in retail.
“Leading businesses in food and beverages, grocery, health, beauty and personal care, household care, retail, and fashion seek our advice.”
Our priority is helping you to deal with the pressing questions that you face.
How can you focus on greater sustainability, transparency, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues? How can you demonstrate to consumers and investors the positive changes you’re making? How can you capitalize on trends like hyper-personalization, direct-to-consumer brands, e-retail, and renting rather than owning? How can you navigate supply chain disruptions? As digital transformation and diversification impact on your operations, including new payment and finance products, how can you identify and act on your commercial and compliance responsibilities?
We are thought leaders in this industry and work to engage with stakeholders at all levels. This includes membership and sponsorship of the International Consumer Product Health and Safety Organization (ICPHSO). We recognize the importance of this independent global forum for product safety stakeholders to meet, network, and share best practice.
Awards and recognition
- Advising Philip Morris International (PMI) on the auction process to acquire Fertin Pharma, a Denmark-based nicotine replacement products manufacturer. The transaction had an enterprise value of DKK5.1 billion (approximately USD820 million) and is a significant milestone in the delivery of PMI's goal to become a majority smoke-free business by 2025.
- Advising Dr. Seuss Enterprises, L.P.on comprehensive trademark, copyright and media advice, including prosecution, counselling, enforcement, media and merchandise licensing, publishing agreements, promotional agreements, sponsorship agreements, prepublication review and clearance, global intellectual property enforcement strategy, federal intellectual property infringement litigation and all other intellectual property advice.
- Advising the shareholders of Pangaea Laboratories, a global beauty business and owner of the fast-growing Medik8 skincare brand, in connection with the investment from private equity firm Inflexion
- Advising Coty and Shaneel (license holders for numerous famous fragrances) with licensing/ distribution deals, brand counselling, trademark prosecution, brand enforcement, copyright registration, copyright enforcement, and IP litigation (trademark and copyright).
- Advising the license holder of the world’s then biggest selling pop group/boy band on a license to manufacture and sell its range of cosmetics and fragrances.
- Assisting Ontex in a dispute regarding the use by a competitor of unsubstantiated sustainability and environmental claims in a comparative advertising video.
- Advising Citizen Watch Co Ltd on their business collaboration to develop a hybrid smart watch with Fossil Group, INC.
- Advising a consortium comprising China’s Qumei Home Furnishing Group and Huatai Zijin Investment on the acquisition of Ekornes, the largest furniture manufacturer in the Nordic region, for a total consideration of approximately NOK5.1 billion (USD630.75 million).
- Advising LEGO as part of a global mandate to assist with all commercial contracts including new commercial premises for LEGO, back office system procurement, advice on advertising and use of (child) data, and logistics agreements to ship their products around the world.
- Advising Solutus Advisors Limited in its capacity as the special servicer of the GBP263 million Debussy DTC Plc CMBS Loan to Toys “R” US Properties (UK) Limited.
- Advising a fast-moving consumer goods company with global turnover in excess of USD15 billion, on all aspects of implementation of a global data protection compliance program, spanning 200 operating countries, including design of the program, development of the information governance framework, preparation of relevant policies, procedures, training material, etc.
News and insights
Maryland antitrust enforcers hint at aggressive new action
20 February 2024 .9 minute read
Maine and Minnesota regulators seek public input on currently unavoidable use exemptions...
29 January 2024 .7 minute read