Your global partner for all patent matters
Protecting valuable inventions in a highly competitive global environment is challenging. Clients turn to us for our deep technical knowledge, broad experience, and reputation for trying – and winning – cases. Whether enforcing your patents or defending you against claims of infringement, we can help.
With the significant rise in patent litigation and damages, the risks and opportunities are high.
We have over 130 patent litigators in key jurisdictions worldwide. We know the laws, courts, and judges in the locations where most patent disputes happen. And we develop and implement strong global patent enforcement strategies, selecting where and when to litigate in order to increase the chances of success.
Whatever your technology or industry, we’ll quickly understand it. Our lawyers have in-depth technical knowledge, with advanced degrees or experience across electronics, computer science, telecommunications and wireless, pharma and biotech, medical devices, chemical engineering, materials, and automotive.
Because we’re trial lawyers, we develop potential trial themes early and use them to evaluate the evidence from both parties. We’re known for our ability to explain complex technologies to judges and juries. And because our opponents know we’re not afraid to go to trial, we’re very often able to reach a favorable settlement.
“We’re known for our ability to explain complex technologies to judges and juries.”
We have a leading appellate practice, and have helped clients hold on to their victory and reverse adverse results. Additionally, we have extensive experience handling inter partes reviews and post-grant reviews in the US, as well as supporting clients in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Often recognized as one of the most innovative law firms in the word, we champion innovation and the value of emerging technologies. In the life sciences sector, patents that provide appropriate protection for valuable inventions are critically important. We help leading innovators protect those inventions.
We also help clients in the technology and industrials industries to navigate Standard Essential Patent (SEP) issues when integrating machine-to-machine and Internet of Things technology into manufacturing processes. We help clients minimize risks, capitalize on licensing opportunities, and ensure SEP royalties are commercially realistic.
When your business is faced with the challenges – or opportunities – of patent litigation, we’ll strive to get the best possible outcome.
Awards and recognition
Our experience includes advising or acting for:
- Many of the world's top multinational innovator life sciences and medical devices companies on a full range of patent issues, including patent management and patent litigation, and disputes relating to a wide variety of their products including anti-cancer medications, proton pump inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonists, JAK inhibitors, statins, pain medications, atypical antipsychotics, antihistamines, arthritis medications, anti-fungal medications, smoking cessation medications, vaccines, antibiotics, and insulin
- Automotive OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers for over 25 years, litigating patents related to automotive, aeronautical, and safety technologies including the assertion and licensing of SEPs
- Clients in litigation and ITC investigations involving SEPs and fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) licensing issues related to a wide range of communications technology standards, for example, power control mechanisms and wireless charging technology
- A global technology giant in relation to a high profile, multijurisdictional patent litigation case. Our global team successfully represented the client in a 27-patent case in the Northern District of Texas and three High Court trials in the UK, resulting in a confidential worldwide settlement. This matter involved strategic, cross-border coordination of complex patent litigation across the US, the UK, and other jurisdictions. It also involved complex issues relating to antitrust and anti-competition claims, standard-setting claims, and defenses and issues concerning what constitutes a FRAND licensing commitment in the standard-setting context.
- A data protection software client in a patent trial in the US District of Delaware; we won a full defense jury verdict. Our client’s rival asserted that our client and the other defendants infringed two patents relating to fundamental technology for anti-virus software. At trial, our client demonstrated that it invented the same technology years before its rival filed for its patents, and following a three-week trial before Chief Judge Gregory Sleet, the jury unanimously agreed, finding both asserted patents invalid and not infringed. The lawsuit involved global discovery efforts (across the US, the UK, Israel, Czech Republic and France) and several interrelated lawsuits spanning multiple years.
- A US-based technology company as lead counsel in an ITC investigation. We helped our client prevail in an important case in which their competitor alleged that our client’s SRAM chips infringed four patents. The Administrative Law Judge’s Initial Determination found no violation of Section 337, finding that none of the four patents were infringed and that the Complainant had failed to establish a domestic industry as to any of the four patents. The Commission subsequently affirmed the finding of no violation on each of these grounds and additionally found the asserted claims of one of the patents invalid.
- Advising a global, NYSE-listed medical technology manufacturer of a drug delivery system in patent infringement proceedings in the UK, France and Germany, relating to patents for syringe pump drivers.
News and insights
In re Cellect: Patent term adjustments cut short by obviousness-type double patenting
7 September 2023 .6 minute read
UPC live – Key takeaways from the first oral hearing under the new regime
7 September 2023 .9 minute read