Vanessa AdrianceOf Counsel
Vanessa C. Adriance represents clients in environmental and product-related litigation, and assists clients with enforcement and compliance issues.
Vanessa has more than a decade of experience litigating environmental and products-related claims. She provides clients with advocacy and compliance advice regarding California's Health and Safety Code, including Proposition 65, and the defense of products-related and environmental tort claims. She advises clients in connection with California's Appliance Efficiency Regulations, California's Green Chemistry program, and other California products-related and environmental rules and regulations.
Vanessa advises manufacturers and retailers regarding a variety of products, including foods and beverages, over-the-counter medical products, personal care products, and home goods. She enjoys working with clients of all sizes, ranging from small businesses to multi-national corporations and advising them on environmental, labeling, and compliance issues. She assists clients in creating compliance programs, developing and maintaining testing programs, and represents clients in challenges to agency actions. She has also represented major trade associations in litigation and regulatory matters, including in connection with agency actions and government enforcement authorities.
She regularly speaks to trade associations and businesses on consumer-products related legal issues, regulation of chemicals in consumer products, and compliance with consumer products laws.
Vanessa's practice builds on a strong litigation foundation. She has experience trying cases before juries and judges in numerous jurisdictions. She has a deep knowledge of the California courts and procedure.
Environmental law and consumer products
- Represented multi-national food and beverage companies in putative class action asserting claims under California's Proposition 65 and consumer protection laws relating to the alleged presence of heavy metals.
- Represented manufacturer in putative class action in connection with alleged PFAS contamination.
- Represented stakeholders in challenges to proposed regulatory actions by California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.
- Regularly assists retailers and manufacturers in formulating and executing Proposition 65 compliance programs.
- Represented numerous food manufacturers in actions alleging exposures to acrylamide brought under California's Proposition 65.
- Brought successful demurrer to fraud and negligence claims on behalf of national banking client.
- Represented majority shareholders in a dispute involving whether a Stockholders Agreement inhibited the sale of the company to a strategic buyer.
- Represented aviation company in obtaining favorable ruling and denial of all plaintiff's claims before California Labor Relations Board.
- J.D., Tulane Law School 2006
summa cum laude
Order of the Coif
- M.A., Tulane University 2003
- B.A., Tulane University 2002
Vanessa has done extensive pro bono work focused primarily in the area of reproductive and women's rights. She also recently was part of a team that succeeded in obtaining summary judgment in favor of a DACA applicant in equal protection claims.
- Author, California Takes the Lead on Plastic Waste Reduction, Environmental Edge Blog, May 9, 2021
- Co-Author, ABC Test Retroactivity Remains An Open Issue After Vazquez, Law360 Employment Authority (with James F. Speyer), February 3, 2021
- Panelist, California League of Food Producers: Proposition 65 Webinar, Presentation to CLFP, January 1, 2021
- Panelist, Whose Problem Is This? Practical Issues in Defense and Indemnity for Retailers, September 14, 2020
- Panelist, COVID-19: Keeping Consumers Safe—and Your Company Safer—in a Changing, Challenging Environment, April 8, 2020
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Ms. Adriance was a senior associate in the environmental group at a large, international law firm.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Board member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
My latest insights
Sellers take note: Changes to Song-Beverly Consumer Act may require updated warranty...
5 July 2023 .2 minute read