Yousuf offers strategic counseling to advance and protect clients’ interests through intellectual property. Yousuf’s practice involves thoughtfully developing and managing IP portfolios, conducting due diligence, guiding IP transactions, performing freedom-to-operate analysis, as well as preparing and prosecuting patents in the US and internationally. He also assists in post-grant matters before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and provides strategic analysis in patent litigation matters.
Yousuf’s technical experience spans a wide range of technologies within the biomedical, mechanical, and computer arts, including medical devices, cardiovascular instruments, wearable health monitors, orthopedics, medical imaging, computer-assisted surgical systems, surgical planning, robotics, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, public safety and security, tissue engineering, medical therapeutics, and diagnostic tools.
- Supported businesses in identifying intellectual property, drafting and filing patent applications, and prosecuting applications to issuance in the US and foreign territories.
- Managed patent portfolios to ensure maintenance of critical assets and adequately protect new assets through patent filings and/or trade secret documentation.
- Counseled clients regarding intellectual property transactions including reviewing agreements, negotiating terms for sale and/or licensing of IP assets, and conducting due diligence.
- Advised clients regarding government funding and implications thereof on ownership intellectual property and proprietary data.
- Performed patentability, freedom to operate, infringement, landscape, and other analyses. Yousuf is a former examiner and patent searcher with extensive expertise in thoroughly and efficiently identifying prior art.
- Advised clients regarding potential patent disputes, including assessing enforceability and/or infringement of their patents or third-party patents and strategically guiding the dialogue between parties to obtain a positive outcome.
- Provided litigation assistance regarding patent matters from the perspective of both patentees and alleged infringers.
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law
- B.S., Biomedical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch: Intellectual Property Law (2022, 2024)