Chloe Barker advises on all aspects of international trade regulation, including economic sanctions and trade embargoes, export controls, customs, trade defence measures and trade negotiations and Brexit.
She has advised international governments and commerce on international trade issues and has directly advised a number of foreign governments on various aspects of their trade and investment policy and negotiations with the European Union.
Chloe advises national and international clients on trade compliance, in particular compliance with EU and UK sanctions and export control restrictions and UK customs. She provides day to day transactional compliance advice, along with advising and defending clients undergoing official audits, investigations or enforcement proceedings by European regulatory bodies including the UK Export Control Organisation, HMRC, the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation, HM Treasury and the European Commission. Chloe regularly counsels clients on the handling and coordination of multijurisdictional investigations involving alleged violations of international sanctions, export controls and customs regulations.
Chloe regularly advises on the development and implementation of effective compliance programmes, including conducting risk-based assessments of exposure to trade regulation, preparing sanctions and export control policies, procedures and awareness-raising programmes and auditing company compliance against industry best practice.
She has completed secondments to an international bank, Bloomberg and a UK private bank and formerly worked in the European Parliament.
Chloe is a Partner in DLA Piper's Global Trade and Government Affairs team.
- Regularly providing economic sanctions and export control advice to clients in, amongst others, the Energy, Oil and Gas, Extractive, Manufacturing, IT and Financial Services industries
- Assisting a global financial institution with its legal obligation to screen customers, reporting obligations with regards to funds held in frozen accounts, the receipt of funds from a sanctioned party and blocked payments
- Assisting with licensing determinations and obtaining necessary approvals for exports and re-exports from the EU and US of sophisticated products, services and technology to sensitive countries and regions including Russia, China and the Middle East
- Advising both an international construction company and a UK based manufacturing company in relation to internal investigations into export control breaches and follow up disclosures to HMRC and the UK Export Control Agency
- Submitting voluntary disclosures to national customs authorities
- Advising on country of origin marking requirements
- Advising on rules of origin in the context of the Generalised System of Preferences and non-preferential tariff treatment
- Advising a FTSE 100 company during an internal investigation further to whistleblower allegations of bribery, corruption and sanctions breaches in various subsidiaries in Africa and Central Asia
- Advising an EU incorporated asset management company in relation to a cross jurisdictional criminal investigation in relation to fraud, money laundering and sanctions breaches
- Advising a North African Government in relation to its negotiation of a bilateral Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with the EU. Providing legal analysis in relation to key FTA provisions and the implementation and corresponding impact of the same on the client's domestic institutions, economy and legal infrastructure
- College of Law, Moorgate London, Legal Practice Course, 2009
- University of Leeds, Law and French LLB, 2007
- Université Jean Moulin (Lyon III), DEUF, 2006
- "Rising Star" Legal 500 UK 2020 and 2021
- "Chloe Barker… is commended for her ‘expertise’ and ‘attentiveness’" - Legal 500 UK, Trade, WTO, anti-dumping and customs
- "Sanctions update: Latest round of U.S. and EU sanctions on Russia – briefing for compliance professionals" , Thompson Reuters, April 2014
- "Joint Ventures: Sanctions and Corruption Risks", Law 360, July 2013
- "Sanctions Risk: What is the Regulatory Challenge for Compliance Officers", Thompson Reuters, November 2012
- 2012 - 2014, Associate, London based international law firm
- 2009 - 2011, Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper
- 2007 - 2008, Parliamentary Assistant, European Parliament
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales