Ben Birchenall BirchenallAttorney
Ben Birchenall focuses his practice in the areas commercial leasing, real estate financing, acquisitions and dispositions, corporate real estate transactions, real property aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, real estate investment and development.
Ben frequently represents landlords and tenants of all sizes in commercial lease negotiations across various asset classes with a particular emphasis on retail, office, and hospitality leasing. He regularly counsels large corporations, developers, investors, REITs and property owners throughout the United States regarding property management, leasing strategy, ground leases, assignments, subleases, terminations, rights of first refusal, guaranties, licensing, easements and subordination, non-disturbance, and attornment agreements.
In addition, Ben regularly manages real estate due diligence in connection with complex corporate transactions, mergers and asset acquisitions involving large portfolios of owned and leased real property, including title and survey review and the preparation of purchase and sale agreements, deeds, leases, amendments and loan facilities.
Ben has also represented landlords, tenants and guarantors in real property litigation in New York Supreme Court and Civil Court.
- Representing a prominent online retailer in the negotiation of several retail leases across the United States in grocer-anchored shopping centers.
- Representing a well-known investment management company in the negotiation of numerous office leases at trophy assets in multiple states.
- Representing a notable New York City developer in lease negotiations at one of the city's most sought after buildings.
- Advising Fortune 500 companies regarding lease termination options, assignments and subleases to minimize real estate overhead costs.
- Representing a leading private jet and aviation company in multi-million dollar leasehold financing at several local and municipal airports.
Real Estate Investment
- Representing foreign investment funds in joint venture formation and acquisitions of noteworthy US building assets.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Representing an international purchaser in the acquisition of a $50 million dollar landmarked residence in New York City.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representing a private equity firm in the multi-billion dollar acquisition of one the United States' largest poultry producers involving the diligencing of hundreds of agricultural and industrial properties across the country.
- B.A., University of Delaware 2008
- J.D., New York Law School 2013
- Represented a significant not-for-profit company in the sale of thousands of acres of campground and park land in upstate New York to a notable conservation and preservation group.