Edward Chatterton specializes in intellectual property work, with a particular emphasis on providing brand protection and enforcement advice in Hong Kong and the PRC.
He advises on the full range of intellectual property matters, including the ownership, maintenance, protection and exploitation of intellectual property, clearance work and dispute resolution, both in resolving disputes pre-action and in formal litigation.
His experience includes providing advice on the full range of IP including the protection and commercialization of IP, clearance work and advice and dispute resolution. He has significant experience in IP enforcement and IP licensing and valuation.
He has been involved in handling a wide range of matters before the courts and intellectual property offices in Hong Kong, China, the UK and Europe. Edward has also managed complex multi-national litigation and enforcement work, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region.
Edward advises clients across a diverse range of industries including FMCG companies, fashion and luxury goods brands, financial institutions, and technology companies, as well as organisations in the manufacturing and construction industries.
In addition to his intellectual property work, Edward advises on data privacy issues in Hong Kong and across Asia and media-related disputes and advice.
- University of Bristol, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law & Practice, 2001
- Nottingham Law School, LPC (Commendation), 1997
- University of Leeds, LL.B (Hons), 1996
- Ranked Gold for prosecution and strategy by World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 for Hong Kong in 2022
- Recognized as a Recommended lawyer for transactions, enforcement, and Litigation in WTR 1000 for Hong Kong in 2022
- Recognized by Managing IP as an IP Star by Managing IP from 2020 - 2022
- Edward is ranked in Chambers Global and Chambers Greater China Region as one of the world’s leading IP lawyers.
- Recognized as a “Recommended” individual on Intellectual Property matters on the 2021 Doyle’s Guide (Hong Kong).
- Ranked as a leading individual in Hong Kong by the World Trade Mark Review (WTR) which states that he is "intelligent and proactive" and "receives glowing praise from his many brand-oriented clients" (WTR 2014) and notes that he is "particularly praised for his dispute resolution nous" (WTR 2013)
- Acknowledged as a leading practitioner in the 2011/12 edition of Legal 500 which described him as "knowledgeable and reliable"
- IFLR 2013 described Edward and his team as "very competent" in trademark-related work
- In focus: Edward Chatterton on Manolo Blahnik's TM win (worldipreview.com)
- Inside Manolo Blahnik’s 22-year trademark battle | DLA Piper
- Manolo Blahnik的22年商标争夺战, 2022 年 9 月 15 日
- Defending trademarks from non-use cancellations: Strategies for OEM manufacturers in China, September 2021
- Defending trademarks from non-use cancellations: Strategies for OEM manufacturers in China, 6 August 2021
- What is worth copying is worth protecting: Brand protection through copyright, 14 May 2021
- One size may not fit all: International registrations in China, 14 May 2021
- Lost in translation: Chinese versions of Western brands, 14 May 2021
- When West Goes East: Chinese trademark classification, 14 May 2021
- PROTECT™ - Overview, 14 May 2021
- China: Highest Court upholds punitive damages of up to five times the illegal gains in ip infringement claims, 30 April 2021
- Law à la Mode, 20 November 2020
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Manolo Blahnik on landmark case in China, resulting in trademark victory...
27 July 2022 .3 minute read