Rafaella ChiachioRa–fa–ye–la Khi-ah-khi-ohShe/Her/HersPartner
Rafaella is an experience lawyer in the corporate and M&A sector, counseling local and international companies on matters concerning corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, multi-jurisdictional transactions, listed companies and corporate governance. She is also responsible for the telecom practice in Campos Mello.
Rafaella works with companies in various economic sectors, but specially: food&beverages, chemicals, technology, telecom, and renewable energy. She also holds governance officer/secretary roles for listed and non-listed companies in Brazil, working closely with their legal counsels, strategic C-level management, and Board of Directors.
Within her practice, Rafaella contributes towards the establishment and/or expansion of companies’ businesses in Brazil and improvement of their corporate governance.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
• Assistance to Swiss agriculture company Syngenta in Brazil and LatAm, with the acquisition of seeds market player, Nidera Seeds, from COFCO International. The transaction also included the implementation of pre-closing carve-outs of operational assets in Brazil, Uruguay, and Paraguay.
• Assistance to Lanxess, a leading specialty chemical company, with an M&A transaction for the acquisition of Itibanyl Produtos Especiais Ltda. (IPEL), including the legal due diligence and the drafting and negotiation of the transaction documents.
• Assistance to Lanxess, a leading specialty chemical company, with the Brazilian aspects of the transaction involving the creation of a joint venture between LANXESS Deutschland GmbH and Saudi Aramco, which also included the implementation of a pre-closing carve-out of the operational Brazilian entity.
• Advising Norwegian company Statkraft, the biggest producer of renewable energy in Europe, on all legal aspects related to the acquisition of a R$705 million stake (40.65%) in Brazilian renewable energy company Desenvix. The acquisition resulted in a joint venture with local shareholders of Desenvix to focus on hydropower projects in Brazil.
• Advising an American technology company with legal and regulatory matters related to the launching of a satellite constellation for the offering of high-speed internet connectivity in Brazil.
• Assisting Rafael Defense, an Israel-based defense company, with the establishment of a joint venture with Stefanini IT Solutions, a Brazilian information technology integrator and services provider, for purposes of operating in the cybersecurity segment in Brazil.
• Providing regulatory advice to Tampnet in connection their project for provision of offshore telecom, including advice in a Petrobras bid for the installation and lease of submarine optical fiber to allow 4G interconnection in the offshore Brazilian coastline.
• Assistance to Lojas Renner, one of the largest Brazilian retail chains of clothing departments, in a R$670 million transaction involving the acquisition attempt of Leader Magazine group.
• Assistance to international food and support services Compass Group in a R$305 million transaction involving the acquisition of 100% of the equity participation held by French Accor group in GRSA, a leading Brazilian company in the collective meals and support services segment.
• Assistance to Bridgepoint, international private equity group focused on investing in market-leading businesses, with the acquisition in Brazil of 5àSec Group, the world’s leading laundry and textile care services group.
• Assistance to Norwegian company Statkraft, the biggest producer of renewable energy in Europe on the acquisition of the 36.85% of the stake of the Brazilian power company Desenvix.
• Assistance to StackPath, cloud services and corporate solutions provider, with the acquisition in Brazil of Highwinds, an industry leading content delivery network (CDN) provider.
• Assistance to Polynt S.p.A. in the purchase of a petrochemical company, owned by a Brazilian holding.
Fundação Getulio Vargas, Postgraduate Degree in Corporate and Capital Markets Law, 2011
Fundação Getulio Vargas, Specialization in Oil and Gas Regulation and Businesses, 2008Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, B.A. Law, 2007
- Specialization, Oil & Gas Regulation and Businesses, Fundação Getulio Vargas 2008
- B.A., Law, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro 2007
Leaders League Brazil, Recommended Lawyer in Corporate/M&A: Mid and Small Cap, 2022
Análise Advocacia Mulher
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Corporate, 2021-2022
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Commercial Contracts, 2021
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Technology, 2022
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Food and Beverage, 2021
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Chemical and Petrochemical, 2021
Análise Advocacia 500
One of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, Corporate practice, 2016, 2019 and 2020
Commercial Contracts, 2020
Food and Beverage, 2020
Chemical and Petrochemical, 2020
- Provision of legal assistance to The Nature Conservative - TNC with matters concerning non-profit international organizations in Brazil.
- Provision of corporate legal advice in the MIT-Reap Project related to the building of the first innovation ecosystem in the field of energy and sustainability, to be in the city of Rio de Janeiro, using as basis the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) region entrepreneurship acceleration program.
- Mentor in the DLA Piper Global Scholarship Program, which aims to support developing countries law students to expand their potential and impact their communities.
Before joining Campos Mello Advogados, Rafaella worked in the corporate area of other renowned law firms in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo and as an in-house counsel for Telecom Italia Group in the Corporate and Tax Area of TIM Brasil, the controlling shareholder of TIM Participações S.A. (a company listed on Bovespa and NYSE).
Rafaella also served as a foreign associate at the DLA Piper office in New York (NY), United States.
Memberships And Affiliations
Provision of legal assistance to The Nature Conservative - TNC with matters concerning non-profit international organizations in Brazil.
Provision of corporate legal advice in the MIT-Reap Project related to the building of the first innovation ecosystem in the field of energy and sustainability, to be in the city of Rio de Janeiro, using as basis the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) region entrepreneurship acceleration program.
Mentor in the DLA Piper Global Scholarship Program, which aims to support developing countries law students to expand their potential and impact their communities.