Anthony Paul ColesPartner
Anthony Coles is a veteran trial lawyer. He is recognized as one of New York City’s preeminent lawyers, securing trial victories in high-profile matters involving products liability, real estate, the Alien Tort Statue, and insurance disputes.
He has extensive experience supervising and handling large-scale global litigation. Tony’s practice centers on complex commercial and business litigation, including shareholder disputes, international claims, class action defense, and real estate litigation. His practice also includes representing companies and their senior management in regulatory investigations, including by state attorneys general, state ethics commissions, and other government agencies.
Tony served as New York City's Deputy Mayor for Planning, Education and Cultural Affairs for the City of New York from 1998 through 2001 and served as a Senior Adviser and legal Counsel to the Mayor from 1994-1998. Tony helped to spearhead the landmark merger of the city’s Transit Police and Housing Police into the New York Police department and was responsible for the implementation of major policy initiatives for the mayor. He also was responsible for overseeing key aspects of city planning and public improvement, such as the development of Brooklyn Bridge Park and the planned expansion of Lincoln Center. He has also served as one of the Mayor's advisors in responding to the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center.
Tony’s recent experience includes:
- Obtained a judgment for a major publicly traded REIT setting a significant precedent on the effect of COVID on the fair market value of residential real estate in New York City
- Obtained the dismissal of three separate national class actions alleging consumer fraud brought against a major insurance company
- Served as counsel for a global insurer in class-actions and regulatory investigations concerning the sale of a patented business insurance product
- Defended the leaders of a Middle Eastern government in obtaining dismissal of a purported class action involving than 30,000 class members`
- Served as counsel for global Chinese real estate company, obtaining dismissal of claims brought in the U.S. for purported violations of international law
- Served as counsel for a foreign sovereign in an alleged class actions litigation in federal court asserting claims for purported violations of international law, successfully obtained a complete dismissal of the actions in two jurisdictions
- Served as counsel for an energy company in defending against class action claims arising out of the sale and distribution of fuel oil in the New York metropolitan region
- Served as counsel for a leading Jordanian Bank in claims brought in the United States arising from purported violations of international law
- Co-counsel for a police officer, obtaining acquittal on a murder charge arising in the line of duty
- Defended the winning bidder of the largest contract procurement entered into by the City of New York against claims of fraud and insider dealing, upholding its franchise contract
- Representing a major New York real estate developer in a series of related litigations arising from partnership disputes
- Served as co-lead counsel for an international banking group in an action against a major auditing firm alleging malpractice in the audit of a customer of the bank as well as in various actions involving the customer
- Counsel for a major entertainment and arena corporation, successfully defending against a regulatory investigation
- Represented bondholders in a complex bankruptcy reorganization
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in both product liability and “market share” trials
- Represented the manufacturer of a heavy construction equipment in products liability trials
- Advised government agencies and private parties on defamation, privacy and First Amendment issues
- Represented public companies and their senior management in investigations by the SEC, state attorneys general, and state ethics commissions
- J.D., Columbia University 1980
- B.A., Tufts University 1977
summa cum laude
- B.A., London School of Economics and Political Science 1976
Tony was named one of New York City's leading lawyers in the area of business litigation by Law & Politics magazine, and he is rated AV® by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, the highest rating attainable, as well as by Corporate Counsel Magazine and The American Lawyer. Tony is a member of the Bar of the State of New York and the United States Supreme Court and has practiced in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States.
Tony previously served as an adjunct professor at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs. He has authored numerous articles in various media journals and is regularly invited to participate in and speak at high-profile legal and policy-related events. Tony serves on the board of trustees of several prominent educational and cultural organizations in New York City. He also serves on the advisory board of the Center for New York City Law, which is affiliated with New York Law School.