Ruth Dapper is a litigator focused on defending against class and mass actions. Her practice includes litigation of consumer class actions and product liability, mass tort, pharmaceutical, and medical device litigation in coordinated proceedings and multidistrict litigation.
Ruth began her legal career with clerkships in the federal and state courts, including serving as a judicial clerk for District Judge Anthony J. Battaglia (United States District Court for the Southern District of California); Magistrate Judge Jeanne J. Graham (United States District Court for the District of Minnesota); and Judge Wilhelmina M. Wright and John P. Smith (Minnesota Court of Appeals).
Ruth has published in the Federal Courts Law Review, Notre Dame Law Review Reflection, the Federal Lawyer, and the Bencher. Federal courts around the United States have cited Ruth's publications in their orders.
Ruth was selected to the SuperLawyers list of Rising Stars in 2019-2022.
- Defeated class certification in lawsuit alleging state and federal claims against government contractor in federal court
- Obtained summary judgment for a national technology company in a putative class action asserting federal and state claims in federal court
- Represented national transportation company in defeating class certification in a putative state-wide class action
- Represented national retailer in obtaining summary judgment in a putative state-wide class action in state court
- Obtained summary judgment in arbitration, dismissing all claims against multiple education institutions
- J.D., University of St. Thomas 2012
magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Minnesota 2009
with High Distinction
- Ruth was selected to the SuperLawyers list of Rising Stars in 2019-2022.
- Co-Author, "Sonner v. Premier Nutrition Corp.," Notre Dame Law Review Reflection, 2021
- Author, "Judicial Profile: Magistrate Judge Karen S. Crawford," The Federal Lawyer, 2016
- Author, "A Judge By Any Other Name? Mistitling of the United States Magistrate Judge," 9 FED. CTS. L. REV. 1, 2015
- Co-Author, "Using Technology to “Ramp” Accessibility Barriers in the Legal Profession," The Bencher, 2015
- Presenting and Challenging Expert Witness Testimony at Trial, 2016
- Legal Issues Regarding the "Internet of Things," 2016
- Perspectives on Disabilities, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota In-Court Seminar, 2014
- Before joining DLA Piper, Ruth practiced at another AmLaw100 firm, where she litigated class and representative actions.
- Before entering private practice, Ruth served as a judicial law clerk in the courts, including two federal district courts and a state appellate court.
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony J. Battaglia, United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Jeanne J. Graham, United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Wilhelmina Wright and John P. Smith, Minnesota Court of Appeals
Memberships And Affiliations
- Athena San Diego
- Federal Bar Association
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court (Associate, Barrister, 2015-2018)