Irma Isabel De ObaldiaOf Counsel
Irma Isabel De Obaldia's ("Isabel") practice focuses in Intellectual Property and Technology.
Isabel concentrates her practice in strategic intellectual property counseling, Privacy and Information Security, data rights, technology procurement and transfers, distribution and licensing of intellectual property-related agreements, manufacturing agreements and OEM relationships, computer law, Internet law, e-commerce, hosting and cloud services, IT services, trade secrets and non-disclosure, M&A technology counseling, software licensing, development, distribution and procurement, open source business models and licensing and general business counseling.
Isabel's practice includes representation of public and private companies in the software, technology, cloud computing, e-commerce, social networking, mobile applications, hardware, and networking industries. She routinely assists ventured backed, emerging growth and public companies in the strategic management and exploitation of their intellectual property assets.
Representative Clients and Matters
- Advise clients with offices throughout Latin America on the development and implementation of internal privacy plan for compliance with applicable regulations.
- Advise clients on global negotiations with high profile cloud providers for services applicable in multiples countries.
- Represents a high profile satellite provider in their international negotiations with providers and resellers alike.
- Advises a high profile European network solutions provider with their licensing models and contracts.
- Assists clients in developing and drafting license and contract forms to streamline and cut off negotiation time during their online ecommerce transactions.
- Has extensive experience in license compliance and management.
- Routinely advise premium tech companies on international ecommerce matters..
- J.D., Intellectual Property, Boston University 2006
Boston University International Law Journal
- LL.M., University of Warwick, England, International Economic Law
- Licenciatura, University of Panama, Panama, Law & Political Sciences
- "Western Intellectual Property and Indigenous Cultures" Boston University Law Journal, Fall 2005
- Managing Editor of DLA Piper Latin American Blog (https://www.latamlawblog.com)
Before going into private practice, Isabel was Director of License Management Services for Oracle Corp., Latin America Division, and afterwards, Area Manager for Named Accounts, Oracle Direct Latin America.
Prior to joining Oracle, she worked as an International Trade Negotiator for the Panamanian government, representing Panama during negotiations with the World Trade Organization in Geneva, the United States Trade Representative and in negotiations for bilateral trade agreements with Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Central America.
Earlier in her career, she worked in Spain and England.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Panama Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- International Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
My latest insights
DLA Piper represents private equity firm in Controlled Environment Agriculture investment
12 May 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises EVERFI in its US$750 million acquisition by Blackbaud
5 January 2022 .4 minute read