Maria A. GarrettAssociate
Maria Garrett's practice focuses on representing employers in employment-related litigation and counseling them on labor and employment matters.
Maria advises and represents employers against claims related to discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour issues. She also represents employers in lawsuits to enforce their rights under departing employees' non-compete agreements to protect trade secrets and other confidential information. Maria has experience representing businesses in both state and federal courts as well as before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Texas Workforce Commission.
Maria also counsels clients through all stages of the employment relationship—from hiring and training to termination. Maria partners with employers to review, update, and develop policies, procedures, and employee handbooks. She also regularly drafts and negotiates employment agreements; non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements; and separation and release agreements.
- J.D., Baylor University School of Law 2016
- B.A., University of Texas at Arlington 2011
- Secured summary judgment in favor of major building materials company in race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit.
- Negotiated and secured favorable settlement of sexual harassment lawsuit.
- Represented nationwide insurance brokerage company in numerous lawsuits to enforce employee non-compete and confidentiality agreements. Successfully defended against anti-SLAPP (TCPA) motions in two cases.
- Conducted several employee training sessions on discrimination, retaliation, and other workplace issues.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyer
- Aid to the Homeless Committee, Co-Chair
- Judiciary Committee, Member
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers 2019-2020 Leadership Class
- Dallas Bar Association