Renato Lopes da RochaPartner
Renato is a professional with a clear focus on what he wants, with technical consistency and a professional experience built on commitment and dedication. We have worked together in the past and it was a pleasant surprise to meet him again as a partner at Campos Mello Advogados and to work together again. Renato takes an objective position and analyzes the situation considering the context and possible alternatives in order to find a solution that is the most appropriate according to the client's interests. He also has leadership skills and is always available to exchange ideas and contribute to the search for results.
Renato has an extensive practice in tax litigation, experienced in Judicial and Administrative Courts. He also has significant experience in direct taxes, VAT/indirect tax matters, as well as in federal, state and municipal taxes, social security, customs duties, special regimes and excise taxes. Represented major companies in tax lawsuits, administrative procedures, and consultations before tax authorities in Brazil.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
Renato is an experienced tax litigator. His unique experience in this field covers both administrative and judicial proceedings. He mostly acts for his clients before the superior tribunals of Brazil.
- Renato assisted White Martins with the administrative defences involving the State Goods and Services Tax (ICMS);
- Renato is assisting GR Serviços e Alimentação Ltda. regarding the writ of mandamus filed in order to ensure the right to perform tax settlement involving outstanding social contribution debts of FGTS;
- Renato assisted Thales Dis Brasil Cartoes E Solucoes De Tecnologia Ltda. regarding the writ of mandamus filed to recognize a BRL 23.270 million spontaneous complaint.
- M.B.A., International Accounting with emphasis on International Standards, IFRS Trevisan 2014
- LL.M., Commerce and Trade Law, Instituto Brasileiro de Mercado de Capitais (IBMEC) 2007
- Specialization, Tax, Instituto Brasileiro de Estudos Tributários (IBET) 2006
- Renato was recognized Lawyer in Tax Litigation, Leaders League, 2023
- Highly Recommended, Latin Lawyer 250, 2022
- Corporate Tax, Who’s Who Legal Brazil, 2021-2022
- Approved – LACCA, 2019-2021
- Next Generation Lawyer in Tax, The Legal 500, 2017
- Recommended Lawyer in Tax, The Legal 500, 2016
- "Sustainability and Taxes in Brazil," April, 2023
- "Brazil's FIAGRO promotes agribusiness: key points about this new form of investment," July, 2022
- "Brazil sets forth conditions for tax settlements in goodwill disputes: multinationals take note," May, 2022
- Speaker, "Electric Energy Operations – Minas Gerais Notices," Ordinary Meeting of the Tax Council, May, 2022
- Speaker, "Focus on US international tax and other global legislation impacting the region," Latin America Tax webinar XVI, April, 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Brazilian Association of Financial and Tax Law (ABDF)
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
- Sao Paulo
- Rio de Janeiro
- Minas Gerais