Elena Rizzo focuses her practice on international investment and commercial arbitration. She has represented international companies, sovereign states, and state-owned entities in connection with cases under the leading institutional and ad hoc arbitration rules, including those of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), and the American Arbitration Association (AAA). Her experience includes advising clients in the construction, logistics, oil and gas, renewable energy, and pharmaceutical sectors. In 2022, Elena has been nominated a "Rising ADR Star" by the CPR Institute.
Elena is dedicated to pro bono work. Notable pro bono representations include briefing and arguing appeals setting important precedent for custody and visitation requirements in New York, taking contested custody and divorce cases to trial, and obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile Status for immigrant minors. Her devoted pro bono representation of multiple clients has been sanctioned by Sanctuary for Families in 2023, with the "Above and Beyond" award.
Elena is an active member of the New York arbitration community. Among her affiliations, she is a member of CPR Y-ADR Steering Committee. She also served as a member of the Arbitration Committee of the New York City Bar for two consecutive terms (until 2021).
- Representing international hotel company in ICDR arbitration arising out of multiple contracts with franchisees.
- Representing minority shareholder in ICDR arbitration seeking dissolution of healthcare service company.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in connection with multilateral investment treaty claims.
- Representing manufacturer of irrigation systems in ICC arbitration arising out of EPC contracts.
- Represented software company in ICC arbitration arising out of contract for resale of software and related services.
- Advised cryptocurrency exchange platform on drafting of arbitration clauses.
- Represented two investors in connection with their BIT claim arising out of investments in the renewable energy sector.
- Represented a state-owned company against contractor in an ICC arbitration arising out of an EPIC contract for the construction of a gas facility.
- Represented a state-owned company against joint venture partner in multiple ICC arbitrations arising out of a shareholders' agreement.
- Advised a sovereign state in connection with claims by another sovereign state arising out of international treaty.
- Represented a state-owned company against joint venture company in multiple ICC arbitrations arising out of a crude oil supply agreement.
- Represented a commercial entity against a Fortune 500 company in an AAA-ICDR arbitration arising out of a shareholders' agreement relating to management disputes, handling, and export of grain.
- Represented a Latin American agro-industrial group in a Section 1782 proceeding seeking discovery for use in foreign proceedings.
LL.M., International Business and Trade Law, Fordham University School of Law 2015
magna cum laude
Edward and Elizabeth Hawk Prize
Robert Shuman Prize
Law degree, International Law, LUISS Guido Carli University 2015
Exchange program, Singapore Management University 2012
- D.C. Circuit finds that foreign court's order setting aside award has no bearing on district court's jurisdiction, ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin, by Charlene C. Sun, Elena Rizzo, September 2022