Jason Veit is a business lawyer who focuses his practice on US executive compensation and employee benefits.
Mr. Veit advises clients on the design, drafting and operation of welfare benefit plans, qualified retirement plans, nonqualified plans and fringe benefit plans.
Mr. Veit assists in negotiating and drafting employment, equity, phantom equity, bonus, severance and change in control arrangements, and works with clients in navigating issues under Code Sections 83, 280G and 409A.
Mr. Veit frequently serves as benefits counsel on corporate transactions, performing due diligence, drafting and negotiating representations and covenants and advising on benefits and employee integration.
He has broad experience with ensuring compliance with federal laws including the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). In addition, he has experience counseling employers on issues related to multiemployer funds, including withdrawal liability and the detection and correction of defects in tax-qualified retirement plans through Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service compliance programs.
- Representation of public telecommunications company in connection with benefits and compensation matters
- Representation of public personal care company in connection with executive compensation reporting issues
- Representation of a variety of private companies in connection with employment agreement negotiation and severance negotiation
- Representation of public company in connection with US Department of Labor audit of qualified retirement plan operation
- Representation of a variety of public and private companies in connection with Code Section 409(A) compliance issues
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law
- B.S., Indiana University
- Featured in "Best Lawyers: 2021, 2022 and 2023 Ones to Watch in America." The recognition spotlights attorneys who are earlier in their careers for outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the United States
- "IRS issues final 401(k) hardship distribution regulations: top points", DLA Piper, 1 Oct 2019
- "I Know My Rollover is Late, but It's Okay. Trust Me." JD Supra, September 9, 2016
- "The Contraceptive Saga Continues," JD Supra, August 8, 2016
- "Government Requests Information on ACA Contraceptive Mandate," JD Supra, August 5, 2016
- "IRS Stamp of Approval for PEOs," JD Supra, May 20, 2016
- "Keeping Your (Top) Hat On," JD Supra, April 28, 2016
- "PEOs: A remedy for ACA reporting requirements?"JD Supra, January 22, 2016
- Co-author, "International Labor and Employment Laws, Fourth Edition," Bloomberg Law
- Presenter, American Bar Association Tax Section, "Executive Compensation & Mergers and Acquisitions," (May 5, 2023)
- Presenter, "Executive Compensation & Mergers and Acquisitions," (February 3, 2022)
- Presenter, "Stock Option Primer for DLA Piper Corporate Group," (May 4, 2020)
- Presenter, "Council on Employee Benefits," (February 25, 2020)
- Presenter, "Hot Topics in Employee Benefits," (April 11, 2019)
- Mentioned, DLA Piper Advises DJE Holdings Inc in its Acquisition of Mustache from Cognizant Technology Solutions, February 1, 2022
- Mentioned, Employers: 2022 deadlines approach to furnish incentive stock option and employee stock purchase plan information statements and returns, Lexology, January 11, 2022
- Mentioned, DLA Piper advises Cowen and Company, William Blair & Company, BTIG and Stephens Inc. as underwriters of Alpha Teknova IPO, Daily Freeman, July 12, 2021
- Mentioned, DLA Piper Advises Riverwood Capital and Forecast5 Analytics in the Sale of Forecast5 to Frontline Education, City Biz List, January 13, 2021
- Mentioned, DLA Piper advises Qualcomm in US$1.4 billion acquisition of NUVIA, Legal Desire, 2021
- Mentioned, DLA Piper Sees Solid Growth in 2020 With Major Companies Seeking Advisement, TRUiC, December 25, 2020
- Mentioned, DLA Piper advises NFP in its acquisition of Rose & Kiernan, Inc., DLA Piper, August 18, 2020
- Mentioned, DOL and IRS issue COVID-19 timeframe extensions for health, welfare and retirement plans, Lexology, May 13, 2020
- Mentioned, SSG Advises Pride Family Brands in the Sale of Assets, ABL Advisor, June 5, 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section, Vice Chair, Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee
- Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Voting Rights Project
- Equip for Equality
- Working In The Schools
- Woodlawn Legal Clinic
My latest insights
DOL issues proposed rules to amend and resurrect the fiduciary rule
10 November 2023 .6 minute read
DLA Piper advises VVIP Ventures in its acquisition of the National Enquirer, National...
8 February 2023 .2 minute read