George Vlavianos FCIArbPartner
George Vlavianos has a vast experience in dispute resolution with a focus on energy and constructions disputes.
He has considerable experience advising owners, contractors and engineers on a wide range of complex, multi-party construction disputes and arbitrations across the Middle East, Europe and the North America, including insurance claims arising out of large-scale construction projects.
In addition, George has a significant experience in handling energy-related disputes for national and international energy companies. He regularly conducts arbitrations under various ad hoc and institutional rules.
- Advising an international EPC contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings in relation to multi-million dollar disputes arising out of the design and construction of a stadium for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
- Advising a foreign government in relation to a multi-billion dollar dispute arising from a contract for the manufacture and supply of military equipment to a country in the GCC.*
- Advising an international EPC contractor in relation to multi-million dollar claims arising out of the design and construction of a highway network in Qatar.*
- Advising an international consultant in HKIAC arbitration proceedings in relation to the recovery of consulting fees arising from the award of a contract for the construction of a pipeline system in Bangladesh.*
- Advising an international energy company in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings in relation to a multi-million dollar costs overrun and delay claim arising out of the design and construction of a billion-dollar oil sands project in Canada.*
- Advising an international EPC contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings advancing a multi-million dollar claim arising out of the construction of a gas processing plant in Oman.*
- Advising the joint venture owners in a multi-million dollar gas pricing dispute with a Saudi Arabian petrochemical company.*
- Advising the international joint venture owners in advancing a multi-million dollar insurance (property and BI) claim arising out of the construction and operation of an aluminum smelter in the GCC.*
- Advising an insulation sub-contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings advancing a multi-million dollar claim arising out of the construction of an LNG plant in Qatar.*
- Advising an international energy company in a series of UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings relating to multiple multi-million dollar disputes arising out of the ownership and operation of a gas field in the Caspian Sea.*
*Denotes experience from previous firm.
- Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris, France, 1994
- McGill University, Montréal, Canada, Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), 1993
- McGill University, Montréal, Canada Bachelor of Laws (LLB), 1992
Queen's University, Kingston, Canada Bachelor of Arts (BA), 1989
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners, 2020, Dispute Resolution – Qatar
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners, 2020, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (foreign expert for Canada)
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners, 2020-2022, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration – Canada (expertise based abroad in Qatar)
- "Consolidation of International Commercial Arbitration Proceedings in the Energy Sector", GAR – The Guide to Energy Arbitrations, 2019
- "Protecting Your Foreign Operations in the Age of BITs", Canadian Mining Journal, 2018
- How to Best use an Expert Witness in Arbitration, 6th Annual International Arbitration & Regulatory Summit – Istanbul, 2019
- Consolidation of International Arbitration Proceedings, 5th Annual International Arbitration & Regulatory Summit – Doha, 2019
- Arbitration Clauses: An Introduction for Transactional Lawyers, 6th Annual International Arbitration & Regulatory Summit – Dubai, 2019
- Multi-Tier Dispute Resolution Clauses – Benefits, Drawbacks and Effects of Non-Compliance, Third International Arbitration Conference – Doha, 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- New York Bar, 1993
- Law Society of Alberta, 1996
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Charter Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Canadian National Committee, Member
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCC) Arbitration Committee, Member
- Congress of Fellows of the Center for International Legal Studies, Member
- London Court of International Arbitration, Member
My latest insights
Global crossroads: Navigating risks and opportunities in the intersection of Asian and...
25 January 2024 .2 minute read