Tom Voice advises clients on a range of large and complex international insurance and reinsurance matters and regularly works with colleagues and clients from around the world. He handles both contentious and non-contentious matters, and assists clients with their interactions with, and filings to, a number of insurance, financial and data regulators and bodies in Europe and the US in particular. His practice spans a variety of sectors and insurance lines, and he has experience working on a number of high-profile mandates in the data breach and cyber security spheres, the Energy sector, and in respect of BI claims arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
With a background in Litigation and Arbitration, Tom is able to help clients prevent potential disputes early and to assist with bringing on-going matters to a prompt and commercial conclusion. As part of his practice, Tom has accrued experience and knowledge across multiple dispute resolution mediums in both the UK and abroad, including litigation, mediation and arbitration.
Tom has worked at DLA Piper’s offices in Birmingham, Sheffield and Bangkok, with his time in the Bangkok Litigation & Regulatory team exposing him to a number of Insurance and Reinsurance matters with a South East Asia focus. He has also spent time on secondment with Lloyds Banking Group’s Commercial Banking Litigation team in London.
- Advising the specialty risk division of a global insurer, as well as all excess insurers, in respect of claims for indemnification made pursuant to a D&O liability policy by a Belgian company and 12 of its D&Os, in light of a EUR 1.2 billion claim initiated by a group of minority shareholders. This involved co-ordinating multiple parties.
- Advising a worldwide laboratory testing service, based in Luxembourg, in its response to a global cyber-attack, including inter alia advising on the engagement with regulators and police forces across multiple jurisdictions and counselling in relation to communications with customers. This necessitated co-ordination of over 65 lawyers across DLA Piper’s international cyber team. This instruction came from a global property and casualty insurer.
- Advising US and UK situated entities of a leading insurance and investment organisation in respect of a highly technical and complex EUR 80 million property damage and business interruption claim relating to a large power station in the Republic of Ireland.
- Advising a number of world leading providers of reinsurance and insurance (including Lloyd's syndicates) in respect of various claims for BI losses suffered throughout the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. This included claims not just in the UK, but as far a field as St. Kitts and Nevis, South Africa, Samoa and the Cook Islands.
- Advising a major global insurer on its handling of claims brought under a D&O policy (and the prospect of voiding the policy) in light of an investigation into a company which led to the company being removed from the NASDAQ and claims being brought against the company's D&Os in the US.
- The University of Law, York, LPC, 2014
- Newcastle University, LLB, 2013
- Secondee to Lloyds Banking Group's Commercial Banking Litigation team, September 2019 - April 2020
- Tom has held a mentor role as part of the firm's Head Start programme since 2018.
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Law Society